Dorman 30amp universal ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
You install a "universal" ignition switch, how do you plan to wire up all the other stuff powered by the switch? At minimum, you're going to butcher the original harness. Worst-case, you're going to have non-functional ABS, HVAC, Cruise, radio, etc.

The OEM style switch is plug-'n'-play. No wiring problems.
Sup shurkey…Welp..You were right! Should have listened to y’all and just done the job right the 1st time! Bout burned my baby to the ground yesterday otw to work!! I made it back home and now I’m waiting on a brand new Ign.Switch. I’m such a Fckn hard head and seems I have to do **** the hard way with everything I do in life! I can promise you,After this lesson I will do everything right the 1st time,start from scratch,and think things thru before I do anything! I really appreciate you and your rock solid advice! God bless you and stay safe Brother!
~ROLL TIDE~

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 2

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Greetings @DixieMafia251,

Komet, Schurkey, & GoToGuy are all giving you rock solid advice.

And like Komet & yourself, once upon a time money was tight for yours truly. I distinctly
remember riding around with a hammer, so that not if but when the starter wouldn't turn
over I knew *exactly* where to tap it in order to get a another few uses out of it. (And when
I could finally replace that starter, afterwards it felt like pure luxury to no longer need the hammer
as part of the starting routine. Man, the stuff that we take for granted these days. :0)

But getting back to your ignition switch replacement, I'd like to join in with the gentlemen above to
get you to replace the bad part with an identical part. Why?

A: IF you stay with the original setup, then if you have a problem down the road, then somewhere around
the country one of us can pull up the following page and be able to help you figure out what is going wrong:

'96 Chevrolet CK Truck Service Manual, Volume 2, p. 1760 (Electrical Diagnosis, Ignition Switch)
You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, there's a *lot* going on in a small space. The ignition switch is going to
take (2) RED "Always Hot" inputs, and then depending upon what the human decides, distribute the
power into 5 separate, parallel circuits, with the following rules: (reading the above from left to right)

* Hot in ON & ACCessory.
* Hot in ON only.
* Hot in START only.
* Hot in ON + START.
* Hot in OFF + ON + START.

I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff, but I wouldn't want to try and duplicate the above with a generic
switch and guarantee it's reliable...especially if it was to be wired in parallel with the suspect original switch.
(Yikes!)

But if you choose to modify the wiring harness in order to install a generic starter switch...then this
page in the manual is no longer applicable, so now we're troubleshooting remotely blind?

And while we're on the subject of wiring diagrams, the Haynes is just close enough to reality that all it's
really good for is getting your hopes up, only to be dashed upon the hard rocks of not-matching reality.

Instead, the good people in here have set up a spot where you can download the factory service manuals
for your '96. For free. Give yourself the gift of the real documents to follow: ('88-'98 FSM)

Best of luck. Let us know what you find when you find it.
What’s happening Road Trip?! And “Yikes” is right as you said! Almost set my **** on fire in the middle of no where after breaking down cause something went wrong because of my dumbass not listening to y’all! Me and my truck limped home on a prayer, hurt feelings,and smaller ego lol valuable lesson learned!! “Do **** right the 1st time and save yourself the headache” From now on,I will do everything right the 1st time! I just ordered a brand new ign.switch and now I’m just waiting on the part,but at least my baby is sleeping soundly in the carport and still in one piece! Btw..I really appreciate you sending me that schematic and link!! I will be using this for sure from here on out! I just wish I seen your reply sooner! I hope everything is going good for you and yours! I really appreciate your sound advice! Y’all’s knowledge and advice is invaluable and one of a kind! Keep in touch with me and I will definitely do the same if I have a question or anything in the future! God bless you and stay safe in this crazy world we are in nowadays!
~ROLL TIDE~

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 1

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
There are probably exceptions somewhere in their product line, but Dorman has never failed to disappoint and piss me off whenever I’ve made the mistake of buying something from them. I suppose their cardboard boxes are fairly decent sometimes but, seriously bud, I’d get my money back.

Not being sarcastic at all, but a 20+ year old junkyard ignition switch would probably be a better choice.

Otherwise, definitely get a factory replacement as recommended by others above.
That’s some funny ass advice East302!!! All jokes aside..I am seriously going to get a refund now because the damn truck almost caught fire on my way to work yesterday morning! We are home now and everything is ok but I am just glad I didn’t Fck anything up and I can actually learn from this lesson! I just ordered part # ARBC506201 and it will be here Saturday! I will keep y’all posted and if I have any questions,I will be in contact! I appreciate you making me laugh 1st thing this morning as I could sure use the humor after this valuable lesson learned! God bless you and yours!

~ROLL TIDE~

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 1