Lets's talk Corrosion, a.k.a. Rust!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it snows here, even 2 inches is a disaster.
Some of that is because by the time its gets cold enough to dump snow, there is already 3 inches of hard ass ice on the roads.
And this part of the world is all steep hills and mountains and bridges.
And we are pretty consistantly rated amongst the worst drivers in the nation.
And they dont salt.
Which for a car guy is just awesome.
Because the state policy stuffs priuses and subarus in the ditch while not rotting our cars and trucks
I have a few that ive been chasing for a couple of years now.
Up around the Sequim area is a 1968 Charger RT parked right next to a 1968 Olds Cutlass S
They havent moved since the late 1980s.
No rot, hardly any rust.
And he wont sell either one not even with cash waving like fish bait.
Nope, hes gonna restore them.
Dudes about 80.
But the one I really really really want,
Is a 1931 Packard Super 8 Coupe.
Its in a barn not to far from here.
It started running rough so the owner called a mechanic.
The mech came over, said it needed a valve job.
So he drained, the rad, pulled the head, drained the gas tank and left.
He never came back.
That my freinds, was in 1964.
All original, all intact, fluids drained,
Packard straight 8.
And his kids dont give a **** and he wont sell it.
I think hes about 92 or so now and just an awesome guy to know
Yep, I have the trailer on emergency standby at all times

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That's the new efficient metal there coming out with lol. Gm cant make radios, bumpers, engines, or trannys with out class action lawsuits. I'm sorry but somebody needs to be fired and go back to school
Exactly. I was a bit disappointed in the new (well once new) K2xx series when I starting hearing the trannys already failing in them. And everyone thought the 4L60E was bad, lmao. Imagine buying a $40k-up truck and the tranny gives out on you several years later, probably have to spend $4k or more for a rebuilt tranny for a truck you are still paying for. I'd probably be pissed by then lol.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
My crew cab is a very decent find as far as rust is concerned in Kentucky. In one of my other posts, you can see what looks like snow accumulating on the roads. It's actually a stupid amount of salt they put down in anticipation of "up to an inch" of snow.
'Round here, they brine, then put down 1/4"-3/8" of salt for just mentioning snow.

You should see how bad it affects the gmt800s here. They make my 400 look mint!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
'Round here, they brine, then put down 1/4"-3/8" of salt for just mentioning snow.

You should see how bad it affects the gmt800s here. They make my 400 look mint!
Same here, I've started seeing plows salting the roads without any ice or snow in the forecast.

I've noticed the GMT800's rust out quicker than the 400s around here as well. I always hear of the frames cracking and rusting out on them. The leaf shackles are also another issue with them that rusts out lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I live in NJ where its best to have a "winter beater" because of all the salt used... my nice truck (90 Sierra Z71) is from Ca and you can still read the numbers and date on the frame even after 31 years. My east coast Scottsdale... not so much, LoL

Did they mark them in 98?? Only thing I've seen is a plastic badge

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I live in NJ where its best to have a "winter beater" because of all the salt used... my nice truck (90 Sierra Z71) is from Ca and you can still read the numbers and date on the frame even after 31 years. My east coast Scottsdale... not so much, LoL
It's your truck's birthday today by that date!

TrevorM

Reaction score

Same thing here in NE. The salt and brine they put on these roads DESTROYS cars. I was trying to sell my 90 Scottsdale but I may bring it here to be a winter beater because it already has the dreaded frame rust along with rockers, corners and wheel wells.