Let's talk Torque Converters...quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm going to embark on rebuilding a 4L80e. They recommend you replace the torque converter as well due to the clutches being sort of a wear item, and you can't even inspect them. I'm going for a stock rebuild with a stock stall speed.

Locally, I can get this remanufactured one: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...anufactured-torque-converter-gm88h/10011464-P

Seems other local parts stores have the same item.

Rockauto has a remanufactured one for $183 and a GM genuine remanf. for $400.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,transmission-automatic,torque+converter,8668

What is the difference? I've seen YT videos of those super duper racing converters where they TIG weld each little impeller vanes individually, but that's like for high performance stuff it seems. Those units are probably worth more than my entire truck. I'm leaning local just because of the core charge. Those suckers are heavy. Assuming they just replace the internal clutch and bearings, I can't see one of those not going 100k+ just like what came from the factory, no?

Summit has anything from $400 to $1500, LOL. I mean I don't think I need anything billet, tripe disc clutch, "Saturday Night Special," do I?!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good lord! Is there a torque converter shortage going on right now like everything else? I remember looking at Dacco B81 and B82 converters for the 4L80E swap into my red '97 a few years ago, which are new production but pretty much bottom of the barrel stock replacements. They were around $175 at the time, now they're both over $400.

The concept of a reman torque converter sketches me out a little. I'm sure they're fine, my OCD just doesn't like it. I can understand the hesitation to pay more for a converter than you would on a full junkyard 4L80E though.

EDIT - Actually now that I'm looking closer the Daccos I mentioned may be remans. Regardless, they've more than doubled in price. I never ended up getting one, I just used the mystery junkyard converter that came in my 80E.

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I always recommend TCI because their rep told me that the lock up clutches are either Kevlar 4x holding power or carbon 10x holding power depending on the application.
The other companies might have the same but TCI TOLD ME.
I always recommend and sell what ever vendor gives me the most/best info.
Summit has had the TCI brand for over 27 years. If there was a quality issue they would be GONE!:D

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have taken them in and out for various reasons. But have only ever purchased 1. It was a TCI. Worked first try for me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this were me, I'd be assessing how I intended to use the vehicle.

Older trucks generally aren't used for daily-drivers and cross-country trips. The yearly mileage tends to be low.

If that's the case for your truck, consider taking your existing converter--which worked perfectly good (Right?) and having a local trans shop flush it and verify internal end-play. Probably cost less than $50. Around here, I was told $35 a couple years ago.

Stuff the cleaned-out converter back in for another hundred-thousand (or more) miles.

(Admission: When the 700 in my '88 got rebuilt last year, the shop slapped in a generic rebuilt converter from whoever is their "usual" supplier.)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I DD mine and have taken a few long trips loaded to the gills. I wouldn't hesitate to take either, but I am pretty well in tune with their needs and they're not rotboxes. I would be Leary of doing that with a MI truck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had good luck with most of them Dacco, TCI, Dynamic, Fti, Turbo-Action, etc.. For a stock application that gets driven as stock the Dacco does just fine. If your chasing performance don't underestimate the importance of a quality well tuned converter that's specifically built for your application and by that I mean get on the phone with your specs.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this were me, I'd be assessing how I intended to use the vehicle.

Older trucks generally aren't used for daily-drivers and cross-country trips. The yearly mileage tends to be low.

If that's the case for your truck, consider taking your existing converter--which worked perfectly good (Right?) and having a local trans shop flush it and verify internal end-play. Probably cost less than $50. Around here, I was told $35 a couple years ago.

Stuff the cleaned-out converter back in for another hundred-thousand (or more) miles.

(Admission: When the 700 in my '88 got rebuilt last year, the shop slapped in a generic rebuilt converter from whoever is their "usual" supplier.)

It's this truck. Towards the end of page #4... Failure due my amateur-ism:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/99-silverado-4-3-to-5-3-swap-with-4l80e-bonus.51060/page-4

I had actually bought a spare tranny pretty cheap thinking I may want to learn how to rebuild them, but the guy left the TC out in the rain ( before this happened). In the mean time I had bought another TC from a guy that does LS turbo swaps and high stalls. $25 for that take stock take out one! That's what I was thinking if running, LOL.

It's either run the $25 one or get a remanufactured one. The one I installed on the truck is probably contaminated with clutch meterial in the fluid? I'll check around the tranny shops if they can flush it out the $25 one. Otherwise I'll just get the reman. one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did a Daaco B82 in my 1500. It has a weird quirk where, on a cold day, I think the sprag doesn't sprag for the first 1-2 miles, but the rest of it has tolerated the loads I put behind it just fine. Including hauling a 8500#+ 24' enclosed trailer locked up in OD for days. It does stall north of 2000 though and does not leave me wanting for more stall. A good quality reman B82, for a stock motor, is all you should want for a small block. For something meatier, consider the B81 that stalls even lower unless you're drag racing a 17 second truck for fun.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a Daaco B82 in my 1500. It has a weird quirk where, on a cold day, I think the sprag doesn't sprag for the first 1-2 miles, but the rest of it has tolerated the loads I put behind it just fine. Including hauling a 8500#+ 24' enclosed trailer locked up in OD for days. It does stall north of 2000 though and does not leave me wanting for more stall. A good quality reman B82, for a stock motor, is all you should want for a small block. For something meatier, consider the B81 that stalls even lower unless you're drag racing a 17 second truck for fun.

Thank you. I'll look into that one.

You tow 8,500# one the 1500? Dang?! That's got 4.10s, right?

I picked up a 2KXX axle for that project Silverado. It's got 3.73s though. I couldn't figure out how to run that 14 bolt 10.5" axle due to the 8 lug vs 6 lug deal.

The 2KXX axle has the same spring perch spacing, just 1" wider overall WMS. I don't think that's a problem though. I'm gonna be ridding in a truck with the wheels poking out like them youngsters, LOL.