Front Spring Rates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
V6 2WD spring rate. It's more curiosity than anything else.

I'm curious about this too. I know the V6 and V8 trucks got different front springs but I have no idea how different they actually are.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Are you positive about that? That seems high for a 3500 and crazy high for a 1500?
I recalculated it today, see below.

According to what I am seeing on the chart I have for the springs that the rates are as follows

4.3L=1256 lbs/in
5.7L=1380 lbs/in
7.4L=1840 lbs/in

You have to remember that this is for the stock height springs, any sort of lowering spring or coil over will be different rates and appear to have lower rates per inch. I am not a suspension engineer at all. And the above info is on a specification chart I have access too via GM.

Last edited:

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As length of spring decreases spring rate will have to increase.
Here’s what QA1 engineer told me at SEMA this year when I questioned the different rates between brands.

QA1 front coil over shocks have 550lbs spring rate. Spring is 14” long (uncompressed)
Brand X (just can’t remember) I considered was 750lbs. Spring is 12” long (uncompressed)

Always best to pick up the phone and ask a well formulated question of the manufacturer. Good luck with your search.