Front Spring Rates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the front spring rates known for any of the available lowering springs? I can't seem to find that information anywhere. Or is the amount of drop the biggest concern for most?

I'm looking for a 2" drop spring and probably something in the 600 lb/in range. I think. I'm only basing that off of car springs I have bought in the past. I guess I have a second question... are the spring rates known for the various coil springs used stock?

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed replacement springs from Rock Auto in my 454SS when I removed the lowering kit. The front still seems a bit too low. I was thinking the weight of the big block was the problem. But I have removed quite a lot of weight with aftermarket parts. I'm thinking better than 100 lbs. If you are removing your 454 springs I'd be interested in them.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed replacement springs from Rock Auto in my 454SS when I removed the lowering kit. The front still seems a bit too low. I was thinking the weight of the big block was the problem. But I have removed quite a lot of weight with aftermarket parts. I'm thinking better than 100 lbs. If you are removing your 454 springs I'd be interested in them.

Unfortunately, my 454 SS doesn't have the original springs anymore. I thought it was about stock height when I got it, but later realized that it actually has drop spindles still installed from when the truck used to be lowered (frame notched out back). I don't know anything about the current coil springs other than they are obviously much taller than stock and they ride more sporty than a standard C1500 truck.

At this point, I'm either going to cut two coils off the current springs or install 2" drop springs. Then flip the rear. Lower than I would like for a 3-season truck, but it's by far the simplest route and would look much better than it does right now.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may not have been very clear. Despite the truck having drop spindles, it currently sits right about stock hight due to the unknown springs installed by a previous owner. Maybe only slightly lower. I just bought a bone stock, 2-owner '93 W/T 1500 and they are super close in ride hight.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, your assertion is that it's got lift springs and lowering knuckles?
Odd combination to say the least

Yep. My assumption is that whoever decided that they didn't want the truck to be lowered anymore, simply decided to install taller coil springs and un-flip (rather poorly, too) the axle. The truck's previous owners have made questionable decisions.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which is why I was curious about the stock spring rates. I like how the truck rides up front, it is more firm than a standard truck. I've never driven a non-molested SS or Sport to know how they ride, but based on what I have read, I'm assuming they were also a bit stiffer than a standard truck. I don't want to install lowering coils if they are softer than what was stock for an SS.