Front Spring Rates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Granted I've never found out the spring rates on anything I've had, but I've never seen a lowered vehicle ride softer than stock, and I've been riding low since the 80's...

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Granted I've never found out the spring rates on anything I've had, but I've never seen a lowered vehicle ride softer than stock, and I've been riding low since the 80's...

Thanks, that's good to know. I've only lowered cars and one S10. Any notable brands of springs that rode more firm than an average stock truck?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My Crown Vic had 700# front coils and rode like a boat. 900# does not surprise me.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a very different word from 1st-3rd gen Camaros, that's for sure. Or even Chevelles which is what surprises me the most. They are similar in size and weight to a shortbed 2wd.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a very different word from 1st-3rd gen Camaros, that's for sure. Or even Chevelles which is what surprises me the most. They are similar in size and weight to a shortbed 2wd.

I think a 4th gen Camaro had 360# springs stock, but its wheel rate is going to be slightly higher than a more inboard mounted spring like a Crown Vic. Spring rates can be deceiving like that. A Crown Vic puts the spring about where a C1500 would.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut 2 full coils out. That is likely to drop it about a mile and a half!

Put a piece of masking tape on both front fenders in line with the axle centerline. Measure the tape height and write it on the tape so you have a reference height. I guarantee you can't eyeball 2" accurately.:biggrin:

Sneak up on it a half coil at a time. Don't put the cotter pins or shocks in and drive it 20 feet or so back and forth a couple of times so the suspension settles

I cut one coil out of my Firebird and it dropped it a full 3".

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took a set of Ac Delco 45H1057 which are a HD replacement spring for our truck (approximately 1000 lb/in rate) cut one full coil and ended up with approximately a 3.25 inch drop when combined with a 2" drop spindle. It's pretty firm, but not unbearable for a cruiser. I wouldn't want to daily it though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut 2 full coils out. That is likely to drop it about a mile and a half!

Put a piece of masking tape on both front fenders in line with the axle centerline. Measure the tape height and write it on the tape so you have a reference height. I guarantee you can't eyeball 2" accurately.:biggrin:

Sneak up on it a half coil at a time. Don't put the cotter pins or shocks in and drive it 20 feet or so back and forth a couple of times so the suspension settles

I cut one coil out of my Firebird and it dropped it a full 3".

This. If you cut 1/2" of height out of a spring, expect the drop to double that.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. I've only lowered cars and one S10. Any notable brands of springs that rode more firm than an average stock truck?
Not any significant difference that I've noted, and I've used belltech, djm, and maxtrac.
One of my kids is into that stance stuff (seems to consist of weird wheel angles, dumb haircuts, anime, and emo chicks from what I can tell) and he's always talking about spring rates and such with his buddies, but I can tell from the conversation they don't really know what they're talking about.