Front Spring Rates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think a 4th gen Camaro had 360# springs stock, but its wheel rate is going to be slightly higher than a more inboard mounted spring like a Crown Vic. Spring rates can be deceiving like that. A Crown Vic puts the spring about where a C1500 would.

Right, that's why I was assuming ~600 lbs would be pretty good, because that works well in a 2nd gen F-body that has a similar design front suspension. But I guess the geometry is different enough to really change the needed spring rate.

This is all good info from everyone, thanks!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Right, that's why I was assuming ~600 lbs would be pretty good, because that works well in a 2nd gen F-body that has a similar design front suspension. But I guess the geometry is different enough to really change the needed spring rate.

This is all good info from everyone, thanks!

My 4th gen has 900# front springs, 360# would be terrible up there! More spring, more better.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took a set of Ac Delco 45H1057 which are a HD replacement spring for our truck (approximately 1000 lb/in rate) cut one full coil and ended up with approximately a 3.25 inch drop when combined with a 2" drop spindle. It's pretty firm, but not unbearable for a cruiser. I wouldn't want to daily it though.

This may be the route I take since you have already done the research and development for me, lol. Are you running a small block, big block, aluminum LS or what?

I call my truck a 3-season driver, but it's never really a daily driver. I "could" daily drive the thing, but there's enough other fun stuff for me to drive in nice weather that I don't have to.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be the route I take since you have already done the research and development for me, lol. Are you running a small block, big block, aluminum LS or what?

I call my truck a 3-season driver, but it's never really a daily driver. I "could" daily drive the thing, but there's enough other fun stuff for me to drive in nice weather that I don't have to.
All iron SBC.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is mine when I first got it home and after I removed the lowering kit. It had a 5/7 drop with a cut frame. After the first few miles of driving it I decided I hated it lowered. It bottomed out on every single bump in the road and the tires would skip on the pavement. That made for a scary ride on the curves in the mountains. It would skip and slide off the road. The rear wheel hop under acceleration was very annoying. I put it back stock or as close as possible and it takes the twisty roads way better.