*FOUND - 14B 9 1/2 SF*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen it but it's been too many years to detail it specifically. It's not much. Most of the GVWR increase from a 1500 comes from the 9.5" rear vs. the 8.5", and the difference in spring pack. If you compare a 2500LD to a 1500 frame you'll notice a few small extra brackets / gussets here and there like on the spring hanger brackets.

Richard
Yeah I had a 98 GMC 1500 back in 1999 w/F44 but I can’t remember seeing anything, but I really wasn’t even looking then. I wonder if a 1500 w/F44 had the extra beef that the 2500LD had? I think they had the same GVWR right?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I had a 98 GMC 1500 back in 1999 w/F44 but I can’t remember seeing anything, but I really wasn’t even looking then. I wonder if a 1500 w/F44 had the extra beef that the 2500LD had? I think they had the same GVWR right?
Nope and not same GVWR. For example, I had a parts truck '94 K1500 ECSB with F44 and it was rated at 6600. My '94 C2500LD ECSB was 7200.

(Just edited for accuracy as I recalled I had the build sheet for the K1500 handy.)

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope and not same GVWR. For example, I had a parts truck '94 K1500 ECSB with F44 and it was rated at 6600. My '94 C2500LD ECSB was 7200.

(Just edited for accuracy as I recalled I had the build sheet for the K1500 handy.)

Richard
Yes, I just looked at my 98 and it also was 6600 lb.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen it but it's been too many years to detail it specifically. It's not much. Most of the GVWR increase from a 1500 comes from the 9.5" rear vs. the 8.5", and the difference in spring pack. If you compare a 2500LD to a 1500 frame you'll notice a few small extra brackets / gussets here and there like on the spring hanger brackets.

Richard

Ree-hee-heally? I thought the braces were an 8600# GVW thing. Those have a riveted in brace at the front of the rear spring hangar and another at the rear. The rear is riveted to the frame and bolted to the spring eye bolt IIRC. I tried cutting them out of a frame section I chopped when I fixed my dually way back when but said F it, those GM rivets are a real McAsspain to get through.

Until now, my impression was that the only difference between the heavy half and light 3/4 was the overload spring in the leaf pack. One got a blue splotch of paint and the other green, but otherwise looked identical. Both were noticeably bigger than the regular 3+1 1500 pack.

Yes, I just looked at my 98 and it also was 6600 lb.

If your GVWR is 6600, then you have a heavy half ton and should already have the 9.5" diff with the 4+1 leaf pack.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ree-hee-heally? I thought the braces were an 8600# GVW thing. Those have a riveted in brace at the front of the rear spring hangar and another at the rear. The rear is riveted to the frame and bolted to the spring eye bolt IIRC. I tried cutting them out of a frame section I chopped when I fixed my dually way back when but said F it, those GM rivets are a real McAsspain to get through.

Until now, my impression was that the only difference between the heavy half and light 3/4 was the overload spring in the leaf pack. One got a blue splotch of paint and the other green, but otherwise looked identical. Both were noticeably bigger than the regular 3+1 1500 pack.

On the frame braces, it's a progression, I suspect. F44 1500 doesn't have some the 2500LD has.. a real 2500 has more.. etc. Like I said, the braces on the 2500LD are little things, and comparing a 1500 to 2500LD you may not even notice them. Back when I had the yard someone was asking questions about frames so I went out there and compared a bunch. This was back in the FSC days; I don't even know if that forum is still active.

BTW I noticed a difference in spring packs between an F44 1500 and a 2500LD, which I've mentioned before. Overload leaf appears slightly thicker and longer on the 2500LD. The specs might be out there somewhere but I suspect they're lost in the engineering department at GM a few decades ago at this point. Looking up specs on aftermarket spring suppliers today, I don't know if they are stringently replicating the exact offerings from GM at the time these trucks were new, or just something that is a suitable replacement where one part fits a broader selection of models. OEM variations in offerings seem much wider than replacements, IMO.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
BTW I noticed a difference in spring packs between an F44 1500 and a 2500LD, which I've mentioned before. Overload leaf appears slightly thicker and longer on the 2500LD. The specs might be out there somewhere but I suspect they're lost in the engineering department at GM a few decades ago at this point. Looking up specs on aftermarket spring suppliers today, I don't know if they are stringently replicating the exact offerings from GM at the time these trucks were new, or just something that is a suitable replacement where one part fits a broader selection of models. OEM variations in offerings seem much wider than replacements, IMO.

Richard

So you saw an obvious visual difference between the 1500HD and 2500LD overload? I only saw different paint splotch colors. Both were longer and thicker than a 1500LD spring pack's, but otherwise looked to be the same.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So you saw an obvious visual difference between the 1500HD and 2500LD overload? I only saw different paint splotch colors. Both were longer and thicker than a 1500LD spring pack's, but otherwise looked to be the same.
Sure looked like a difference to me, side by side. I had several 2500LD's on the yard and only one F44 1500 (which was also the only 3.42 9.5" I'd seen.) You gotta figure there's a reason for the paint splotch difference, right? Color code to tell very similar-appearing assemblies apart quickly, on the line, would be my guess.

Richard