*FOUND - 14B 9 1/2 SF*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Check the tubes for excessive rot or painted over rust. There was a guy on here a little while ago that couldnt use the axle after he found out how bad the rot was after sandblasting. Also check the plug welds that connect the tubes to the housing, if they looked like they are cracked, separated or anything like that they are ready to fail.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the tubes for excessive rot or painted over rust. There was a guy on here a little while ago that couldnt use the axle after he found out how bad the rot was after sandblasting. Also check the plug welds that connect the tubes to the housing, if they looked like they are cracked, separated or anything like that they are ready to fail.
Good stuff Rich, definitely worth looking at! :Whoa:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Never seen a 4.10 9 1/2 6 lug. So no one has any thoughts on original post??

You've never heard of my truck?

That diff is awfully crusty compared to the rest of your truck. I'd slide the drums off and put eyes on the brakes, wheel cylinders, and look for leaks there. Pay particular attention to the axle tubes where the lower cradle dealies clamp the axle tubes via the u bolts, you're looking for the tubes to be eaten away for corrosion here. You'll probably see a noticeable dent here.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I just found the thread that I mentioned in my earlier post. I would highly recommend reading through this one...

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've never heard of my truck?

That diff is awfully crusty compared to the rest of your truck. I'd slide the drums off and put eyes on the brakes, wheel cylinders, and look for leaks there. Pay particular attention to the axle tubes where the lower cradle dealies clamp the axle tubes via the u bolts, you're looking for the tubes to be eaten away for corrosion here. You'll probably see a noticeable dent here.
Oh I’ve heard of your truck. I’m not doubting they made them, just never came across one. So your 9.5 originally came with 4.10’s?
To update, I just got back from my trip to Maine, 2 hours up, same back but in an ice storm. Everything looked good so I grabbed it. Brakes probably no good. I really don’t care as I’m going to go through it and replace whatever it needs. It will also be refinished on exterior. I’m in no rush, the 8.5 functions just fine(for what it is).
I looked over the tubes carefully, seemed solid everywhere. Like you said a very slight wear mark where u-bolts are, all perches and shock mounts solid. I’d take pictures, but it’s crappy out there now and sitting in truck bed under tonneau cover.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I’ve heard of your truck. I’m not doubting they made them, just never came across one. So your 9.5 originally came with 4.10’s?
To update, I just got back from my trip to Maine, 2 hours up, same back but in an ice storm. Everything looked good so I grabbed it. Brakes probably no good. I really don’t care as I’m going to go through it and replace whatever it needs. It will also be refinished on exterior. I’m in no rush, the 8.5 functions just fine(for what it is).
I looked over the tubes carefully, seemed solid everywhere. Like you said a very slight wear mark where u-bolts are, all perches and shock mounts solid. I’d take pictures, but it’s crappy out there now and sitting in truck bed under tonneau cover.

My 9.5 came from a TBI 6 lug 2500 (as did the front diff), I feel like GM was more generous back then. It replaced a 3.73 9.5" diff.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well I d say we’ve got confirmation then. 92GMC2500 I’ve always been curious on the “extra bracing” that I’ve heard was added to the 6 Lug 2500’s. Have you seen this on yours, possibly any pictures of bracing?
I've seen it but it's been too many years to detail it specifically. It's not much. Most of the GVWR increase from a 1500 comes from the 9.5" rear vs. the 8.5", and the difference in spring pack. If you compare a 2500LD to a 1500 frame you'll notice a few small extra brackets / gussets here and there like on the spring hanger brackets.

Richard