EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious about that as well. EBC's site did mention that the GD series rotors were noisier than blank face rotors.

I'm also still curious what edge code Hawk Performance Super Duty HB332P.654 pads have. The Super Duty appears to be their most aggressive compound. I just fired off an email to Hawk about that, we'll see if they're willing to tell me anything. If not I'll go back to the original plan of asking someone at Summit.

EDIT - Just emailed Summit too, why not. I also wrote a couple of quick messages to eBay sellers who have the Wagner PAB473R shoes I mentioned earlier, maybe one of them will be nice enough to check the markings for me.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Akebonos were 15 years old and rated FG

That's wild, I'm assuming they were date stamped then? FG as opposed to FF is a nice little bonus though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just found out that all Hawk Super Duty pads are FF (apparently all their street pads are FF and all their track pads are GG) and the Wagner Thermoquiet PAB473R shoes are only EE.

Looks like GG is about as good as you can do for pads and FF for shoes.

DJackson1357

Reaction score
I'm halfway considering returning the EBC DP41273R pads and getting the Raybestos EHT369H instead. There may be more to it that I'm missing but the more I think about it I'm kind of disappointed that the Yellowstuff pads only manage an EE code considering they're $120 per set. The Raybestos with a GG code for $42 seem like a great deal.

EDIT - Actually the Raybestos are only $33 shipped from RockAuto.

For $120 I wouldn't run a EE code pad. While there is more to a pad than the friction ratings, they are the only quantitative measurement I know of. The last EE pads I ran were the Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics on a Subaru and they were crap from a bite and feel aspect. No dust though.

I really like the Raybestos pads on my C1500 Suburban. Even with hydroboost and 1 ton calipers it took these pads for me to finally get the feel I was looking for.

And this thread turned out really great, I've never seen codes on shoes and been wondering about those for when I need to do the drums.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For $120 I wouldn't run a EE code pad. While there is more to a pad than the friction ratings, they are the only quantitative measurement I know of. The last EE pads I ran were the Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics on a Subaru and they were crap from a bite and feel aspect. No dust though.

I really like the Raybestos pads on my C1500 Suburban. Even with hydroboost and 1 ton calipers it took these pads for me to finally get the feel I was looking for.

And this thread turned out really great, I've never seen codes on shoes and been wondering about those for when I need to do the drums.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards returning the EBC Yellowstuff pads in favor of those GG Raybestos. I just don't see an EE pad keeping up with a GG.

And this thread has turned out awesome, thanks again to everyone who has shared info!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found out that all Hawk Super Duty pads are FF (apparently all their street pads are FF and all their track pads are GG) and the Wagner Thermoquiet PAB473R shoes are only EE.

Looks like GG is about as good as you can do for pads and FF for shoes.

My shoes were FF also. I intend to go to a GG front pad and maybe an FF rear when I swap to rear disks. Hate the issues I've had getting drums that ran true out of the box, and the cost of machining the ones that aren't .

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did, however, get a set of Akebono ACT369 ProACT ceramic pads off of Amazon for half price (open box) and gave them a shot. They turned out to be an FF rating, and are USA made to boot. Have been running them on the truck with ACDelco Pro line rotors for the last two weeks and have been pleased. Great bite and modulation, and little dust to speak of.

TLDR; read up on DOT edge codes and maybe give Akebono pads a shot.

I've used Rabestos's premium line of pads and rotors on several vehicles with good performance in terms of bite, dusting and wear until I got a major let down on the fronts of our Saturn Outlook. They started growling very badly at slow speeds. Tried several things to address it like double checking run-out, new caliper pins, lubricating touch points, turned rotors. Finally just gave up and went with original GM rotors (not AC Delco replacements) and Akebono pads. Performance returned to exactly how it was from the showroom floor. I'm pretty sure the next pads I buy for any vehicle will be Akebono. I'd like to keep giving them a try on other applications.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've used Rabestos's premium line of pads and rotors on several vehicles with good performance in terms of bite, dusting and wear until I got a major let down on the fronts of our Saturn Outlook. They started growling very badly at slow speeds. Tried several things to address it like double checking run-out, new caliper pins, lubricating touch points, turned rotors. Finally just gave up and went with original GM rotors (not AC Delco replacements) and Akebono pads. Performance returned to exactly how it was from the showroom floor. I'm pretty sure the next pads I buy for any vehicle will be Akebono. I'd like to keep giving them a try on other applications.

I'm sure bad units slip through QC once in a while from every company, but just out of curiosity when you say Raybestos Premium, which series do you mean? Element3 (Performance), R-Line (Daily driver) or Specialty?