Brake problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A quick update seeing as I've found the source of the leak. A brand new in July last year copper coated steel pipe is porous just forward of where it is held against the frame rail by a plastic bolted on clip (forward of the fuel filter). I'll know better (maybe) when I remove it if it has corroded or what has caused its porosity but I don't think it is wear (eg, rubbing against frame).
Struggling to believe that an eight month old pipe has failed but that is what has happened.
It's not a " porous " material. A sponge is porous. The steel line has leak, a material failure. Possible causes , road damage, chaffing induced by vibration, corrosion trapped in line clamps, installation errors.
Any brake problems should be investigated asap. Especially if you have brake fluid on the ground. Listen; it's telling you something important.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe, under a magnifying glass I'll find a split, pin-hole, or some other defect but for now all I know is it leaked. An eight month old pipe looking like this.

You must be registered for see images attach
Ouch. Only 8 months and it was that bad? Looks much older than or like it spent its life in salt spray.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Last steel brake lines I replaced I went back with a roll of coated steel that was still holding after 6 years when I got rid of the truck.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC that light is triggered by an imbalance in the pressure between the front and rear brake systems.

There’s a switch near the MC that’s connected to both systems. A pressure imbalance between them pushes the switch’s internal contacts so that contact is made and the electrical circuit closed.

I don’t know that it actually detects low fluid, it may simply detect the result of low fluid.
Given that the above has happened, do I need to reset it and if so, how?
Noticed on another thread someone having difficulty bleeding their rear brakes and a suggestion the proportioning valve(?) has moved and needs resetting. Same for me (1999 C2500)?

New pipes are in - from ABS to rear flexible - just the bleeding to do. Snow yesterday scuppered that.