Abs problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98' Chevy k2500 HD 5.7 vortec, the abs light was on before but a code came up for a speed sensor.

I had a very similar problem and it was the ABS sensor integral to the front left hub.

Follow the advice others gave above.

Check if the connections are OK (there's one along the upper control arm IIRC, on each side in front, that goes to the hub and the speed sensor within). Take them apart, look inside; if you see greenish dust / crud on the connectors they'll need some love.

Feral peasant

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem and it was the ABS sensor integral to the front left hub.

Follow the advice others gave above.

Check if the connections are OK (there's one along the upper control arm IIRC, on each side in front, that goes to the hub and the speed sensor within). Take them apart, look inside; if you see greenish dust / crud on the connectors they'll need some love.
FKG ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left and Right ALS1331 ALS1333 For 1995-2000 Chevy Tahoe GMC Yukon, 1995-2002 Chevy Astro GMC Safari, 1995-1999 Chevy GMC K1500 Pickup, Set of 2 https://a.co/d/cA1Bflo

Would this work?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FKG ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left and Right ALS1331 ALS1333 For 1995-2000 Chevy Tahoe GMC Yukon, 1995-2002 Chevy Astro GMC Safari, 1995-1999 Chevy GMC K1500 Pickup, Set of 2 https://a.co/d/cA1Bflo

Would this work?

Seems like it would. Check your existing hubs to see if they have a corresponding sensor / wire and retaining screw that can be removed and replaced this one.

RockAuto has them cheap:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a picture of a hub assy for a K2500 that shows the removable sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wish I could tell you if this will be an easy job or not.

I'm guessing you'll have to pull the wheel, brake caliper and rotor just to reach into that area.

If you have to remove the hub assembly, from the knuckle, to gain access to that sensor, the job can get big in a hurry if the four retaining bolts won't come out. I had to put a healthy oxy/acet torch on mine to get heat into the hub / bolts so they could be removed. How it works for you, if you have to do it, is anyone's guess. If the truck's never seen salt that would be Good.

Then you have to remove the retaining screw which, if it's been exposed to salt, may be impossible.

I'm hoping that someone who's done the job will say that I'm all wrong.

PS: When I had the same problem on my K1500 I replaced the entire hub assembly / sensor on both sides. After 250kmi+ I figured that was the right thing.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How to replace vehicle speed sensor... <YouTube>

That's an example of doing the speed sensor on the transmission.

If he needs to replace the one on the front hubs (is this still TBD?) there's probably a different YouTube that'll show it :waytogo:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I clicked wrong link.

Good video.

That guy was lucky, those two hub bolts came out w/o a big problem using his ratchet. He glossed over the fact that they're torqued to something like 100lbft (on my K1500 anyway, K2500 may be +-) and he just tightened them with the little ratchet ... :think:

The heads on those bolts looked pretty nasty, I'm surprised he was able to get a socket on them that would stay on them. When I did the job I had to pound an undersized socket over what was left of the head of the bolt.

I'm with you on the YouTube links, I think they'll help @Feral peasant quite a bit, but there are a lot of details left out and the situations are (often?) idealized.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good video.

That guy was lucky, those two hub bolts came out w/o a big problem using his inky-dinky ratchet. He glossed over the fact that they're torqued to something like 100lbft (on my K1500 anyway, K2500 may be +-) and he just tightened them with that same little ratchet ... :think:

I'm with you on the YouTube links, I think they'll help OP quite a bit, but there are a lot of details left out and the situations are (often?) idealized.
Sometimes watching a couple different ones is helpful. I can’t tell you how many times in the middle of a project I’ll search for a video, watch, and wish for the last 10 minutes of my life back. But many can be of help.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes watching a couple different ones is helpful. I can’t tell you how many times in the middle of a project I’ll search for a video, watch, and wish for the last 10 minutes of my life back. But many can be of help.

@Feral peasant, take note ^^^

This job's not trivial so do your homework in advance.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing:

@Feral peasant has a K2500. I noticed the K2500 hubs have threaded holes. I wonder if the bolts come in from the back side of the K2500 knuckle (they come in from the front on the K1500, as shown in the video). If so it means the half-shafts might block access to the head of the bolts.

We need another video...