dual battery help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So is there any reason not to just run the batteries in parrallell? With no switches or solenoids? Itd charge both at the same and drain both at the same time?

You need to use the same battery for this to work.

Not necessarily the same make, but the same rating/capacity.

With different batteries, one battery will suck the other one dry trying to equalize charge and eventually kill the other battery.

That's why you can replace a battery in a dual diesel setup, as long as they are the same type and same average condition.

Bit more to it than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Here's the 6.5 diesel dual alt/dual battery setup for ref:

You must be registered for see images attach

But that charges and draws both batteries at the same time as they are in parallel. You don't want them in series or you'll get 24v instead of 12v. Your 12v systems will not like that one bit!

You must be registered for see images attach

It doubles you CCA and your Ahr in parallel. Well, that's a generalization, but effective for purpose of discussion.

I'd just put a battery alarm (IE: sounds when you hit a min voltage) on it and call it a day.

you can even build something if you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0cOO0TNjNA

Lots of options....

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
the solenoid switch idea is so that you dont have to run the same battery though right? sounds like thats the best option and i can flip the switch while its running to charge both or just draw off of one.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
the solenoid switch idea is so that you dont have to run the same battery though right? sounds like thats the best option and i can flip the switch while its running to charge both or just draw off of one.

As soon as you flip the switch in the circuit listed above, the weak battery will start draining the good battery so yes: you need to use the same type and rated battery.

As soon as they are paralleled, they will try to equalize. If one is different, you can end up eventually killing one (or both) batteries.

The solenoid needs to be a constant duty also. Something like a ford starter relay will heat up and burn if left on constantly.

Something like a cole hersee 24117 would do. Get the "vinylized" one if using it under the hood so it is weather sealed.

Personally, I think you're overthinking it.

Parallel two batteries, chuck in a voltmeter (or alarm) and be done with it.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
then help me not overthink it so much. im bad at understanding wiring. i can look at diagrams just fine but finding what i need and understanding words isnt my strong suit, i just get confused.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
then help me not overthink it so much. im bad at understanding wiring. i can look at diagrams just fine but finding what i need and understanding words isnt my strong suit, i just get confused.

Already said so.

Parallel two batteries and you're done.

Discharging one normal starting battery too often will kill it anyways. That's the territory of deep cycle batteries.

Last edited: