Do not use clay bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If nothing else, take some masking tape put it on the paint kind of tucking it down in the recessed part with your fingernail and rub over the corner of that with a sharpie where there's some blue on the black trim. It will be significantly less noticeable
Ya know, I never thought about doing that, good idea!

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe it was repainted at one time. Clear tends to be good and then in a year, or two it can rapidly degrade ....esp the parts mostly exposed to the sun (UV) and heat. Out of an aftermarket base/clear job, I generally see about 12-14 years if you leave them outside. More if they're garaged. Doesn't seem to matter if it's PPG or Nason clear.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What’s been seen cannot be unseen. I’m never voting for your truck again.
You must be registered for see images attach

:rotflmao: Just kidding. It’s still a beautiful truck.

I have thought about doing most of the prep work myself, including masking all the edges THEN taking it to maaco, then again, I’m also learning how to do my own bodywork and paint. I’d just like to get it all one color because it will be many years before I’m ready to do a full restoration. Might do the rust-oleum/Japan drier/hardener route
That little bit of blue can be carefully scraped off with a razor blade. Woth cheap paints you can sometimes flex the parts and get the paint to crack off

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought truck new. Keep truck clean & waxed. After one correct clay bar application it only took ONE summer to do this:

Attachments

• 0996E6E9-08D2-4AF4-B287-7F17A41A336F.jpeg
    0996E6E9-08D2-4AF4-B287-7F17A41A336F.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 25
  • AD95C79B-9959-437A-8A63-3170D0794122.jpeg
    AD95C79B-9959-437A-8A63-3170D0794122.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 25

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How the heck are you all doing that using clay bar? I don't get it. You are spraying a lubricating spray onto the truck while you use the clay bar, right? There should be enough lubricating spray (e.g, Dawn & water solution) that hardly any friction is created between the clay and the paint surface. I hope you all are not scrubbing the clay directly onto the paint without any lubricating spray.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That little bit of blue can be carefully scraped off with a razor blade. Woth cheap paints you can sometimes flex the parts and get the paint to crack off
Yeah, thought I saw a pic of a door handle somewhere. The upper window gasket easy enough to pull down a bit and address, I tend to stay away from recessed areas with solvents, and a razor blade or exacto would scratch the coating off the handle.

Last edited: