Do not use clay bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a caution to others with original paint: I used clay bar on my '94, it did clean up well but after a year the roof & hood got sunburned.
I guess what little clear coat was remaining got wiped off.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a caution to others with original paint: I used clay bar on my '94, it did clean up well but after a year the roof & hood got sunburned.
I guess what little clear coat was remaining got wiped off.
I use it all the time. No issues here. I doubt it was the clay bar’s fault entirely. Clear was already damaged. I could see it being detrimental if the right amount of lube was used.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need some more information, claybars are inherently safe when used correctly.
Did you use it ONCE, a year ago? Or daily for a year? Which type of clay? Clay bar? Clay towel? Clay mitt? Natural or synthetic? What brand? Which level of aggressiveness? What did you use as a lubricant? Did you do a full decontamination wash before using the claybar? What about the truck? Single stage or base/clear? What color is it? Has it been polished? Does it stay outside? Regularly applied wax? Ceramic coated? What is the climate like in your region? Harsh sun? Mostly overcast? Industrial fallout?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The clay bar, is not the issue. The 30 year old paint, is the issue. I have used clay bars for years. A clay bar will only remove a very minute amount of clear coat, if any at all. Any vehicle that is over 20 years old, will have paint issues, unless it sits inside all of the time, just taken out on perfect days, and only a few times a month. If you Dailey drive the vehicle, no matter how well you care for the paint, if it sits outside, the paint will fail in time, no matter what you do.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used clay bar on my '94, it did clean up well but after a year the roof & hood got sunburned.
Clay bar wasn't the issue. Paint degradation is the issue. Never been a big fan of clay bars when there's ultra fine polishes out there where you run over an entire vehicle with a foam pad in a third of the time without all the elbow grease.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Just sch-itty waterborne clear coat is all. If that was the factory paint job, I'm impressed you got that many years out of it. The roof tends to have the lowest paint film builds of all.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems the horizontal surfaces always shed their clearcoat first. Sun and large surface areas that tend expand and contract more. My brother and sis-in-law have 04 and 05 chevy's both in dark green metallic and both shedding their clearcoat on the hoods and roofs. I doubt either has ever seen a clay bar.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Exactly! The only bad paint on the truck is the hood, top and top edges of the doors. This truck has probably sat outside most of its life....

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_093636306_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230623_093636306_HDR.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230623_093702602_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230623_093702602_HDR.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 22