Bought a used dash...not sure I'm gonna use it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm about to go out in the garage and start stripping the cut-up harness and other bad pieces off the dash so I can make progress on repairing and making it ready for paint.

Wanting to get the products on the way - opinions on SEM vs. Colorbond vs. Duplicolor? And in the product of choice, which would you recommend as the closest match for the factory light gray in a '93?

BTW Duplicolor doesn't seem to have a product that is specifically for plastic parts. The interior-oriented product is advertised as for fabric & vinyl. Says dashboard in the description but I'm sure they mean vinyl dashes.

I've used SEM and am OK with it, but open to suggestions. Their "medium gray" (#15393) ColorCoat product is what I used on the 3500HD project and it seemed lighter than the factory gray of the 95-up interior, to me it looks like what I would use for 90-94 gray. Note the slghtly darker vents, fuse panel cover, and door panels - those are the original gray plastic, vs. the dash, bezel, knee bolster plastic, etc. which are SEM Medium Gray:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Duplicolor is going to be the shade of gray you want but it does work on plastic. I painted my LMC dash a year ago and it still looks as good as the day I sprayed it. I did wipe it down good with brake clean before I sprayed it which softened the surface slightly for better adhesion.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW Duplicolor doesn't seem to have a product that is specifically for plastic parts. The interior-oriented product is advertised as for fabric & vinyl. Says dashboard in the description but I'm sure they mean vinyl dashes.
Vinyl is plastic. I painted some of the interior bits in WCJr more than five years ago. It hasn't had constant daily driving, but it has been parked outside that whole time. The only wear you can see is a bit of dulling where my arm rests on the window sill. That said, it looks like SEM quit charging a premium for their paint and the prices are similiar. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

As I stated before, prep is critical. Get a fine bristled brush and scrub the part with Comet or Barkeep's Friend. Rinse well. Paint.

Here's my video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MarKist

Reaction score
I used dashskins vinyl paint and used the code in my glove box for the color light gray ‘96 and bought duplicolor to compare and the dashskins color matched perfect, but pricey