1993 Silverado replacing the dash questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jskingry

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I have this new to me truck and the top of the dash is gone, the rest of the dash sags and the plastic is breaking by the day. So I ordered a new dash from LMCTruck, buy that's a huge box that arrived. The dash came with one page of instructions, basically which screw to attached the new dash and that's it. So this truck, which mechanically is sounds has a few miles on it and the AC does not work but that's another item I am working on.
So here are my questions since I only want to remove the dash once and only once (famous last words). What are the recommended "fixes" to perform while the old dash is removed? I was thinking:
1. AC Blend door box and stuff, can anyone point me to what parts that would be.
2. Look at the heater core for leaks?
3. Run new speaker wires and amp power wire while drivers seat and dash is out so I can run them under the carpet.
4. Anything else anyone recommends to do as part of this job, even cleaning or lubing items?

Also is there a step by step removal guide for the old dash, it's a 1993 and all I am finding in my searches are new model dashes.

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently have my dash out. When I removed and disassembled the heater box, the evap core is completely sealed off with mold and dirt. No chance it would flow any air or cool efficiency. I'm replacing the evap core, heater core, and all three actuators. Plus I will clean the inside with bleach to get the mouse pee smell out.

All good reasons for pulling the heater box.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would replace the Ac evaporator while in there, both of my 94 rcsb trucks the fittings were galled and took the threads off the evaporator when loosening. Would also loosen change the recirculate actuator while you have the Dash and or heater box out they go bad and are a pain to replace.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I have this new to me truck and the top of the dash is gone, the rest of the dash sags and the plastic is breaking by the day. So I ordered a new dash from LMCTruck, buy that's a huge box that arrived. The dash came with one page of instructions, basically which screw to attached the new dash and that's it. So this truck, which mechanically is sounds has a few miles on it and the AC does not work but that's another item I am working on.
So here are my questions since I only want to remove the dash once and only once (famous last words). What are the recommended "fixes" to perform while the old dash is removed? I was thinking:
1. AC Blend door box and stuff, can anyone point me to what parts that would be.
2. Look at the heater core for leaks?
3. Run new speaker wires and amp power wire while drivers seat and dash is out so I can run them under the carpet.
4. Anything else anyone recommends to do as part of this job, even cleaning or lubing items?

Also is there a step by step removal guide for the old dash, it's a 1993 and all I am finding in my searches are new model dashes.

Thanks for the help and guidance.
Your evap core might look like this. I can't see light through any part of it. There is dirt down in the fins, and I doubt it would flow any air at all. I guess I could try to clean it, but the system has been open for who knows how long and a new core isn't that expensive

Attachments

• 20230614_051834.jpg
    20230614_051834.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 36

Jskingry

Reaction score
Your evap core might look like this. I can't see light through any part of it. There is dirt down in the fins, and I doubt it would flow any air at all. I guess I could try to clean it, but the system has been open for who knows how long and a new core isn't that expensive
Wow you could make a soup out of that!

Jskingry

Reaction score
I would reseal all the ductwork. These trucks are notorious for leaking the air out behind the dash leaving you with poor heating and cooling
Sorry for the late response, but thanks for you response. Quick question, how do you reseal the ductwork?

Jskingry

Reaction score
I currently have my dash out. When I removed and disassembled the heater box, the evap core is completely sealed off with mold and dirt. No chance it would flow any air or cool efficiency. I'm replacing the evap core, heater core, and all three actuators. Plus I will clean the inside with bleach to get the mouse pee smell out.

All good reasons for pulling the heater box.
Still collecting parts but I have ordered the heater core, air blend box with 2 doors, the third blend door, and AC Evaporator Core plus new o-rings and seals for the AC system in general. Hopefully that will get me where I need to go.