1993 Silverado replacing the dash questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you already said the blend door actuators. The one above the throttle is easy the other 2 can be a nightmare. the plastic gear inside cracks and then they won't turn. Truck looks nice and the work is right on. I know i am late to the show. I went through all this with my 93 Silverado when I rebuilt almost everything.. I replaced the top of the dash because the rest was ok, fit good and looks like original, from LMC.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, but thanks for you response. Quick question, how do you reseal the ductwork?
I resealed it using window foam weatherstripping from home depot, something like this

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

When I removed mine I was a dumb ass and didn't replace anything but the foam (I didn't know any better and this post wasn't made, LOL!). I removed the dash because I wanted to paint it. Now I have to do it again for one of the actuators is bad...suck!

Here is a pic of the double foam job I did...

Attachments

• 2017-09-07 - new hvac weather stripping.jpg
    2017-09-07 - new hvac weather stripping.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 13

Jvalaniz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates on how it went? I was thinking about doing this sometime soon

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I resealed it using window foam weatherstripping from home depot, something like this

When I removed mine I was a dumb ass and didn't replace anything but the foam (I didn't know any better and this post wasn't made, LOL!). I removed the dash because I wanted to paint it. Now I have to do it again for one of the actuators is bad...suck!

Here is a pic of the double foam job I did...
No need to pull the dash or even lower it to replace actuators. You can do all 3 of them with the dash in place. Now if there's a broken or stuck door, that's another story.

Richard

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need to pull the dash or even lower it to replace actuators. You can do all 3 of them with the dash in place. Now if there's a broken or stuck door, that's another story.

Richard
Care to explain? Isn't it a pain in the buttocks without the dash removed?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Care to explain? Isn't it a pain in the buttocks without the dash removed?
The only one that commonly goes bad is the fresh air/recirculate actuator and it can be done without messing with the dash at all, though I did remove the glovebox compartment so I could stuff a drop light in from above. Not entirely necessary but I found it helps.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tools needed for the job: 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" wrench, 7mm socket, 7mm nutdriver bit, gasket scraper or similar tool

It sits just above the top of the carpet, and there are only two screws. The lower screw you can reach without issue with the ratchet and socket, it's the top screw that's a little tricky.

Not the best pic as it's tough to hold the camera and the tools, but in this one I've got the nutdriver bit on the top screw, holding it in place with the flat part of the gasket scraper, then I can reach up with my other hand and turn the bit with the wrench. Sounds ridiculous but it's not that bad. Once it's a little bit loose you can just reach up there and turn the bit with your fingers.

The vent position actuator (defrost/dash/floor) is easily accessible once you get the OEM radio "brain box" out of the way which is easy. Haven't had to replace one of these yet but I've gone in to clean the slider linkages as the factory lube gets gummed up over time.

The temperature blend actuator sits between the center vent piece on the dash and the glovebox, so once you pop those out you can get in there and remove it. Not super easy but not hard. I've only had to replace a couple for going bad.

Pulling the dash is much, much more work, and not necessary to replace any of the actuators.

Richard

jcg9393

Reaction score
I'm about to start this adventure as well, but have another question that I've not seen anyone ask or address yet. Since everything on these trucks is 30 yrs old, is there any wiring, other than speaker wires, that should or can be replaced or looked at while the dash is out? Thanks in advance for any info.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seal between the HVAC box and the firewall, and if you have the HVAC box out you might as well go through it as well and vacuum out all the debris that's certainly in it.