Do not use clay bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clay barring is a mainstay of my detailing regimen. Never had a problem with it. Would not recommend "aggressive" clay unless you know what you're doing. Most cars if maintained properly just need a "mild" clay to remove contaminants.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clay barring is a mainstay of my detailing regimen. Never had a problem with it. Would not recommend "aggressive" clay unless you know what you're doing. Most cars if maintained properly just need a "mild" clay to remove contaminants.
X-2. If you get the mild, or fine, clay bar, you shouldn't have an issue. All you want to do, is remove the contaminates from the surface of the clear coat, not the clear coat, itself. Partials get lodged in the surface of the clear coat, and are hard to remove, with just regular washing. Waxing only seals in these particles. They need to be removed before waxing, and even more so, when doing a ceramic coating.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The paint on both of my trucks is a solid 7.5/10 as long as you don't look at the roof or the hoods too close.
Trying to work out a repaint for em both but that's not exactly a cheap process.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
MAACO is running a sale for under $900 on a single stage job :rolleyes: I remember when they were $39.95
The collision repair shop that worked on the Burb, when we picked it up, I asked the service writer about the bad paint on Rawhide. He said, to do it properly, would be $2000. I said, nah, I have other things to spend that kinda $$ on...

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Seems the horizontal surfaces always shed their clearcoat first. Sun and large surface areas that tend expand and contract more. My brother and sis-in-law have 04 and 05 chevy's both in dark green metallic and both shedding their clearcoat on the hoods and roofs. I doubt either has ever seen a clay bar.

It's the UV exposure which kills paint. Clear coat's biggest job is to absorb it. Once that's gone, the rest of the paint system goes in pretty short order as ecoat isn't UV stable at all. It begins to chalk from the exposure which bucks the primer and base coat layers off. In the early 90's/late 80's GM thought they could get away without using primer sealer on some of their basecoats, namely white. The lack of UV shielding is what caused all of those paint failures.