Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-33-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1002955456

This is my current compressor, or the new version of it. It doesn't seem to walk when running and isn't terribly loud either. Enough air for an impact and bursts of die grinder usage. (I dream of a decent sized industrial compressor inside the shop thats being built in my mind.)

For a raised platform, I would either fab a steel platform or build one out of lumber solid enough to support the compressor and have room to manuever it into place. Bonus points for anchoring the compressor or putting railing around it like a deck as insurance.

That looks like a nice compressor; and about the size I think that I need.

How high off the floor would you recommend making the platform? I’m trying to envision what I could store underneath.

A metal platform seems like a good idea, as it would resist vibration better than a wooden one.

The sound enclosure would be made of wood and wafer board or plywood, and would be pretty heavy. I imagine it would be bolted to the platform, and therefore should keep the compressor where it belongs.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How high off the floor would you recommend making the platform? I’m trying to envision what I could store underneath.
When we were farming, we built a 36 X 90 shop and equipment shed. Put in a bathroom (toilet and sink) with a 1-1/4" sub floor roof. I mounted a 5HP compressor with a ~120 Gallon vertical tank, bolted down. That worked well for years until we sold the ranch. The only thing was, you don't wanna be sitting on the throne when the air compressor kicks on. ;)

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we were farming, we built a 36 X 90 shop and equipment shed. Put in a bathroom (toilet and sink) with a 1-1/4" sub floor roof. I mounted a 5HP compressor with a ~120 Gallon vertical tank, bolted down. That worked well for years until we sold the ranch. The only thing was, you don't wanna be sitting on the throne when the air compressor kicks on. ;)
I’ll bet the resonance in that bathroom was impressive!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To echo @PlayingWithTBI , I'd go high enough to walk under comfortably at the minimum. Unless of course you have something shorter that needs a storage place.
Ok, now I see where you’re coming from. Wasn’t thinking of making it high enough to walk under. That makes sense.

I’ll have to give that a good thinking on. Back to the floor plan.