LC9 swap from donor truck - do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
My 93 Sierra has the factory 5.7 with 182K miles on it, it has been overheated and oil starved a time or two. Runs good for the most part but has some issues, has what sounds like a vacuum leak that causes it to lurch at low speeds but couldn’t find a leak so IDK. Truck is double salvaged, engine was in for the second wreck and as far as I know it was for the first as well. Overall it does its job but it has definitely seen better days.

A coworker got hit and it totaled out his ’11 Silverado with 77K miles on the LC9 5.7. Truck is pretty messed up from the wreck, very bad side swipe on the drivers side but the engine, tranny, t-case, radiator, fuel tank SHOULD all still be in working order. I told him to see how much he could buy it back for as it could make for a good donor truck.

If it was just an engine I wouldn’t be that interested as I would still have to convert everything to match, but I’m wondering if everything is still intact if I would be able to move all of the aforementioned parts over and have it be a pretty turn key operation. This would be my biggest project ever by far but I have access to lots of tools and spare vehicles to drive in the meantime while working on this.

Question is…..if I get the entire donor truck with and all of those parts are intact, does this seem like a doable/worth while undertaking? I don’t want to spend $1000-1500 on the donor just to find out I need another $2K in random parts. I don’t know for sure if it will be available, but if it does become an option I want to be able to say yes or no right away.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LC9 is a 9mm pistol. LQ9 is a 6.0L LS engine.

There's always stuff that is going to nickel and dime you, but it's a decent upgrade and less mileage IMO. A good running 6.0 by itself but with all the accessories and such can easily fetch $1000 around here.

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many speeds does the transmission have,I believe I would want some response from transmission guys, some of the newer ones had problems and if you get it make sure that the cylinder reduction feature has been disabled

rzr6-4

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of a 2011 GM truck with a 5.7???
5.7 is the current engine in the 93. Donor has a 5.3

LC9 is a 9mm pistol. LQ9 is a 6.0L LS engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is where I got the LC9 code from. First thing to pop up when I search "2011 silverado 5.3 engine code" on google. I know its a 5.3 model year 2011 so I figured this was accurate.

(9mm LC9 sucks, P365 all day)

There's always stuff that is going to nickel and dime you, but it's a decent upgrade and less mileage IMO. A good running 6.0 by itself but with all the accessories and such can easily fetch $1000 around here.
I figured if I could get the whole truck for 1000-1500 it would be a pretty good deal. I assume it being a 5.3 doesn't change your mind?

How many speeds does the transmission have,I believe I would want some response from transmission guys, some of the newer ones had problems and if you get it make sure that the cylinder reduction feature has been disabled
I would have to check. What tranny (trany?) is it that's known to have issues?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.7 is the current engine in the 93. Donor has a 5.3

You must be registered for see images attach

This is where I got the LC9 code from. First thing to pop up when I search "2011 silverado 5.3 engine code" on google. I know its a 5.3 model year 2011 so I figured this was accurate.

(9mm LC9 sucks, P365 all day)

I figured if I could get the whole truck for 1000-1500 it would be a pretty good deal. I assume it being a 5.3 doesn't change your mind?

I would have to check. What tranny (trany?) is it that's known to have issues?

Ah, well the LC9 is also a pistol. LOL.

Yes it does, 5.3s are about half the price of a 6.0. Still a low mileage engine though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the LSX + Carb Swaps sub-forum.

"I" would not bother to remove a 5.7L in favor of a 5.3L, ESPECIALLY one with cylinder deactivation. The 5.3 can make power, but dead-stock it's not much of an upgrade. Maybe even a downgrade, depending on usage.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the LSX + Carb Swaps sub-forum.
I thought maybe this belonged there but I wasn’t sure if this was actually considered an LS swap.

"I" would not bother to remove a 5.7L in favor of a 5.3L, ESPECIALLY one with cylinder deactivation. The 5.3 can make power, but dead-stock it's not much of an upgrade. Maybe even a downgrade, depending on usage.
I had considered deleting the cylinder deactivation during this process but I didn’t know what all was required of that yet. If you think it needs work to have enough power to make it worth it, have any suggestions? Preferably cheap ones. I think the LC9 makes 2-3x the power of the 5.7 but if there’s any low hanging fruit I might as well add it during the swap.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe this belonged there but I wasn’t sure if this was actually considered an LS swap.
LC9 is an LS-family engine.

I had considered deleting the cylinder deactivation during this process
Wise.

I think the LC9 makes 2-3x the power of the 5.7
Not even close.

315 horsepower vs. 210, approx. 1.5 times the horsepower--not 2X--3X.

338 ft/lbs torque vs. 300 But the torque peak on the LC9 will be at a higher RPM, so the 5.7 will seem stronger most of the time.

but if there’s any low hanging fruit I might as well add it during the swap.
"Illegal" computer tuning
Remove cylinder deactivation

As I said...I'd be VERY reluctant to swap a 5.3L if I already had a 5.7L. Lots of work, no payoff without modifications to the computer and to the engine.

If your time and effort mean anything to you, just get the 5.7L whipped into shape.