Cross drilled, Slotted or both? Brake pad choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
And those race cars get totally rebuilt after every race and aren't using Chinese rotors.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are also not using steel rotors but rather some composite material so they can get away with it but you can't argue physics. Motion into heat requires surface area and removing material reduces surface area so do the math.

Thus you just proved my point. A slotted rotor increases the surface area by removing gas and brake dust build up. Read Here http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/drilled-or-slotted-rotors-what-are-the-best-brake-rotors.aspx for an actual explanation of this.

Here is an excerpt:
Slotted rotors, as the name implies, have grooves cut along the face of the rotor where the pad makes contact. This is because under repeated heavy braking, as the temperature of your brake system increases, a layer of gas and dust forms between the pad and rotor from the material transfer caused by friction. The slots in the rotor allow an escape route for the built-up gases. This allows more of the brake pad’s surface area to contact the rotor, resulting in better pad bite and more consistent stops. Also, this increased surface contact results in a higher coefficient of friction, so you’re actually using less energy to slow your vehicle the same amount. The venting provided by slotted rotors is one of the main ways to combat brake fade and maintain consistent stopping power, lap after lap.

My analogy of throwing Flour on the concrete is the most basic representation of this. Same concept on a different scale. Would I put drilled rotors on a road vehicle, no, slotted however are proven as stated above and not weak like a cross drilled. You just have to decide whether the increased braking prowess is worth it both in initial cost and increased pad wear.

I'll just leave this here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

See above where I pointed this out to you. Starting at 3:30 he starts to touch on this. The guy even states a quick explanation on this. His own white board says in reference to a slotted rotor "Wipes Pad Clean, can provide additional biting edge" The downside "Increased Pad Wear" which is also on his board. IF you re getting better contact and more "bite" as he states it, then obviously you are going to have more pad wear as the pad is more consistently making surface contact. Again your own provided info has proved the same point about the advantage of a slotted rotor. More contact, more surface area, etc. As you snarkly said "you can't argue physics" You are correct, as your sources and mine state there is better physics with a slotted rotor. You might want to recheck that "math"

And those race cars get totally rebuilt after every race and aren't using Chinese rotors.

So why would they use them? For better braking perhaps? I highly doubt anybody out there is ever going to be as hard on brakes as a pure race vehicle so we will never need to rebuilt our vehicle like they do. Where does a lot of aftermarket and auto industry innovation come from? Motorsports and racing. They are typically on the cutting edge and when concepts are proven somebody adapts it to the street vehicle and aftermarket setups.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I was being 'snarkly' at all. I'm not being an ******* so let's not start lobbing assumptions at each other. I'm not an engineer but I have a few years autocross racing experience which can tax brakes quite a bit and I've run only vented rotors(granted this season I swapped my autoX Nissan Hardbody to V6 twin piston calipers and non-slotted rotors...1/2" bigger diameter so I can go deeper into the turns with better late braking) but have not had any situations where I felt I needed slots. I won't even touch drilled for reasons stated above. For a daily driver IMO there is just no need for either slots or drilled. <<<None of this was typed in a snarky or ******* tone BTW.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
So I guess the answer is if race cars use them, they are better for street use?

I still stand by my opinion that for street cars, they are 99% for looks.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I was being 'snarkly' at all. I'm not being an ******* so let's not start lobbing assumptions at each other. I'm not an engineer but I have a few years autocross racing experience which can tax brakes quite a bit and I've run only vented rotors(granted this season I swapped my autoX Nissan Hardbody to V6 twin piston calipers and non-slotted rotors...1/2" bigger diameter so I can go deeper into the turns with better late braking) but have not had any situations where I felt I needed slots. I won't even touch drilled for reasons stated above. For a daily driver IMO there is just no need for either slots or drilled. <<<None of this was typed in a snarky or ******* tone BTW.

You also stated this

OEM fat rotors trump drilled and slotted all day. Physics...brakes turn motion into heat so the more meat on the rotors the more heat they can handle and transfer.

So your source and my own proved that their is indeed better physics and better stopping to a slotted rotor. You then went from slotted aren't better to "?for a daily driver there is no need? Which is it? Do slotted rotors perform better or both of our sources proved they are better, they are now not needed? Sounds like you don't want to concede the point that slotted rotor provide better braking. While pondering that, wouldn't be worth it to be able to stop quicker and more consistently in bumper to bumper traffic or when that deer runs out in front of you across the highway? Would it not also be a beneficial upgrade for a truck that has a larger/heavier tire/wheel combo to have a better brake system to possibly compensate for increased rotational mass. This brake upgrade then may help the truck get back to stock or better than stock braking characteristics? If a few extra bucks isn't worth small upgrade in safety for you or your passengers then I don't know what to say.

So I guess the answer is if race cars use them, they are better for street use?

I still stand by my opinion that for street cars, they are 99% for looks.

If that is all you got out of my source or Dylans than you must be pretty dense. The disc brake concept itself, tire technology, carbon fiber, etc was all born from racing technology, whether it be NASCAR, Drag, GT, or Rally racing.

We have two sources that prove they provide better braking and stopping power but yea its all for looks.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I say, if you like the look of them, then buy them, but don't buy the cheapest ones out there, because you will be worse off than if you bought stock ones. If you really want some, at least buy a brand name, even though they are twice as expensive as regular ones and do the exact same performance-wise, unless you are out on a track every day with the thing. :imo:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I've decided against ever doing anything other than stockers. However if I DID ever upgrade to a slotted (not drilled) rotor, I'd go with R1 Concepts. Heard good things about them from a few members here.