Cross drilled, Slotted or both? Brake pad choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
When I bought my truck a few years ago, it already had Cross drilled and Slotted rotors on her. Is there an actual difference??

Also I'm in need of some brake pads, was searching Summit and there seams to be quite a few more choices than I remember - EBC, Baer, Hawk and a few others. Anyone have some input on their preference? thx

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Nevermind........delete thread, I've just remembered how to use the SEARCH function:doh2:

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cross drilled rotors have been known to crack as was shown above. Just get slotted rotors

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
OEM fat rotors trump drilled and slotted all day. Physics...brakes turn motion into heat so the more meat on the rotors the more heat they can handle and transfer.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I always thought drilled and/or slotted rotors for a street car was mostly only a looks thing.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I always thought drilled and/or slotted rotors for a street car was mostly only a looks thing.

OEM fat rotors trump drilled and slotted all day. Physics...brakes turn motion into heat so the more meat on the rotors the more heat they can handle and transfer.
Glad someone posted this. In stock diameters slotted/drilled/dimpled offer less braking surface and heat up faster. When upgrading to a bigger brake kit slotted/dimpled /drilled work due to the rotor diameter being bigger.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Glad someone posted this. In stock diameters slotted/drilled/dimpled offer less braking surface and heat up faster. When upgrading to a bigger brake kit slotted/dimpled /drilled work due to the rotor diameter being bigger.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If this was the case we would all still be using Drum Rotors as they have the most surface area however there is more to it than that. A slotted rotor allows the bad to clean itself and remove brake dust from building up between the pad and rotor that reduces the friction coefficient between them. Go put some flour on concrete and see if you can slide your foot across the floor easier than you could with clean concrete. It also creates a bit of wind movement that does sweep minimal amounts of heat from the rotor itself. It still weakens the rotor some but is nothing like a drilled rotor. I do believe even nascar is using a slotted rotor and thats about the toughest brake test i can think of.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
They are also not using steel rotors but rather some composite material so they can get away with it but you can't argue physics. Motion into heat requires surface area and removing material reduces surface area so do the math.