Drilled/slotted or smooth rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find all of my old C5 track pics. Here's some slotted rotors that I decided were too sketchy to continue using.
You must be registered for see images attach

SS Performance

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drilled rotors are prone to cracking partially due to not being able to chamfer both sides of the hole. The burrs on the inside can cause hot spots that lead to cracking.

As said above most street cars won't see this problem.

As far as high dollar cars having drilled rotors many of the people that buy them just want to think they are Johnny Racer and dont really know squat about racing.

Profesional race cars have them but they change them after every race 500 miles or less.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think the SRT brakes (SRT cars in general tbh) benefited from Mercedes input. Interestingly, AMG cars still have drilled rotors, and the brake performance on the big cars is perhaps even more impressive than the motors.

One of my favorite early SRT8 reviews - naturally, since it's quite literally about my car, a bright silver 2006 300C SRT8 :D https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18202458/chrysler-300c-srt8-road-test/ - yeah yeah, they beat the car up for its cheap interior and rough ride (wtf they expected, I dunno) - but it really is a great article about a great car. <3

"But now SRT has struck on something a bit dearer to those bosses' hearts—the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG. At 4.7 seconds, the 300C SRT8 is just 0.4 second slower to 60 mph. However, the SRT8 outstops the E55 by 11 feet from 70 mph and outgrips it on the skidpad. The SRT8 is also more involving to drive and less like a tool for speed. One last detail: It costs $40,000 less than the Benz. Uh-oh."

Something to keep in mind about the acceleration, braking, and handling performance of that review - it was done on crap OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. If only Mopar would have sprung for quality tires from the factory...

I can't find all of my old C5 track pics. Here's some slotted rotors that I decided were too sketchy to continue using.
You must be registered for see images attach

When I first bought my '96 C3500 extended cab dually, the rotors on it looked amazingly similar. Plain, smooth, factory type rotors.. cracked all to hell! Assuming heavy abuse while towing.

Richard

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cannot imagine having a high performance vehicle and not wringing it's neck from time to time.
Out in DFW we don't have anywhere that is a reasonable cost to track our vehicles. That's part of why I'm thinking about joining some friends when they Rally. I had a Kia Stinger for a bit and I really wanted to track it but the cost of getting on any track was prohibitive so I never *really* got to drive it before I sold it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out in DFW we don't have anywhere that is a reasonable cost to track our vehicles. That's part of why I'm thinking about joining some friends when they Rally. I had a Kia Stinger for a bit and I really wanted to track it but the cost of getting on any track was prohibitive so I never *really* got to drive it before I sold it.
I'm not a track guy, with the exception of the drag strip. Other than that, every speed contest location has been publicly funded.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite early SRT8 reviews - naturally, since it's quite literally about my car, a bright silver 2006 300C SRT8 :D https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18202458/chrysler-300c-srt8-road-test/ - yeah yeah, they beat the car up for its cheap interior and rough ride (wtf they expected, I dunno) - but it really is a great article about a great car. <3

"But now SRT has struck on something a bit dearer to those bosses' hearts—the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG. At 4.7 seconds, the 300C SRT8 is just 0.4 second slower to 60 mph. However, the SRT8 outstops the E55 by 11 feet from 70 mph and outgrips it on the skidpad. The SRT8 is also more involving to drive and less like a tool for speed. One last detail: It costs $40,000 less than the Benz. Uh-oh."

Something to keep in mind about the acceleration, braking, and handling performance of that review - it was done on crap OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. If only Mopar would have sprung for quality tires from the factory...
Richard
I meant the S class, but yeah, in terms of value the SRT cars are hard to beat. I've mentioned here before that the hellcat charger seems like it was designed specifically for my tastes. I don't want one though, because of how everyone I've met who has one acts.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define reasonable. Eagle's Canyon is newly reopened, and sure, their prices are upmarket at the moment, but we take our Lemons car there for shakedowns on HPDE days. You also have MSR-Cresson that's not terribly far away. Honestly though, I've never ponied up the cash for an HPDE day, I just run headfirst into Lemons races on tracks I've never been to before.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I meant the S class, but yeah, in terms of value the SRT cars are hard to beat. I've mentioned here before that the hellcat charger seems like it was designed specifically for my tastes. I don't want one though, because of how everyone I've met who has one acts.
Getcha one and debadge it. Best of both worlds.

Richard

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drilled is absolutely, without doubt, at this point - useless, other than marketing. It is literally the perception of performance. In the "old days" racing pad compounds did emit a lot of gas and possibly needed the holes. Modern pads do not.
I'm not disputing the gassing theory - I don't know enough about it to have a view (is gassing though the source of 'fade'? I'd read that fade was due to the resins in the pad material melting and becoming liquid. Having set brakes on fire (ie heavily smoking if not visible flames!) something burns).
But, the original reason for drilling discs - as given by Porsche when it first applied this to its 917 - was to add surface area for cooling. There is a correlation between the radius of the hole and it's depth for this to work - the depth has to be greater than half the hole's radius I think it is.
In reality, drilled rotors can decrease performance, but probably only a negligible amount. A brake rotor's job, oversimplified, is a heat sink. It converts kinetic energy into heat energy. The quicker it can absorb, then dissipate, that heat, the better. A drilled rotor has less mass to do this job with. Could you tell the difference? Probably not..
That's a dual edged sword. The more mass absorbing heat the longer it takes to dissipate the heat as there is more of it stored. If it hasn't done so by the next application of brakes, that braking event begins from a higher temperature and will reach a higher temperature by the end of the braking than it otherwise would have.
Braking capability is more than just one stop. It's how it copes with multiple stops in succession.

Last edited: