Drilled/slotted or smooth rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
It's getting close to changing my rotors before I head to Houston next month, as I can feel mine are starting to warp. I usually get the smooth rotors, but I've been wondering if the drilled/slotted are any better than the smooth? I've always imagined that since there is more surface material on a smooth rotor, that it would perform better than drilled or slotted. I'm sure heat dissipation on drilled/slotted is better than smooth, but as mentioned less material for the pad to "grab" onto.

Also, which type of brake pads do you guys run? I've been eyeing some carbon-fiber ceramic or the NAO ceramic from Brembo.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread to read.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
This is a good thread to read.
interesting article. Although it seems to focus more on pads/shoes as I'm curious about rotors.

SS Performance

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drilled and slotted rotors are big in racing for several reason. Primarily dissipation of heat and weight reduction.

I am not a fan of drilled rotors, they have a tendency to crack between the holes. Slotted rotors are fine if you can find any that aren't also drilled.

So in summery plain old stock rotors are great for our trucks.

Good luck
Craig