To do the Ceramic pads or not to do? that is the question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on Akebonos.
Also those carquest pads he bought are probably the same as the Raybestos ones. Might save some money returning them and buying off Rock Auto though.
The Raysbestos Element3’s have a HH friction code, pretty sure the Carquest only have an FF.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only way to tell is OP to show pic of the numbers on the pads, stock photo on Advance has FF but I would not trust that necessarily.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it is something I did but I had a bad experience with Element3 pads. They squealed and squealed. I even pulled them back off and added more disc brake quiet but no luck. Stopped just fine but ........ .Got tired of listening to them and swapped them out for a set of ThermoQuiet pads. Not a peep since. I want to try Akebono next time I need a set.

Thanks for the RockAuto discount code! Had no idea the forum had one.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if it is something I did but I had a bad experience with Element3 pads. They squealed and squealed. I even pulled them back off and added more disc brake quiet but no luck. Stopped just fine but ........ .Got tired of listening to them and swapped them out for a set of ThermoQuiet pads. Not a peep since. I want to try Akebono next time I need a set.

Thanks for the RockAuto discount code! Had no idea the forum had one.

Almost every case of squealing can be cured with a new pad bed in process as recommended by Hawk pads (works on all pads not just there’s)

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, more than a few on this site use Element3 pads and I don’t recall anyone ever mentioning brake squeal.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, more than a few on this site use Element3 pads and I don’t recall anyone ever mentioning brake squeal.

The ones on my red truck do have a very slight squeak right as they come to a complete stop, but it's never been enough to bother me. They're dead quiet on the Suburban. I think the slotted rotors on the red truck might be to blame for the noise in my case.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a set of ceramic pads on the front of the K1500, perhaps twenty years ago.

I absolutely hated them.

Poor stopping power, but they lasted forever. I was thrilled when they FINALLY wore-out. Replaced 'em with whatever semi-metallic pads NAPA was peddling at the time.

I suppose that ceramic pad formulations have come a long way since then...maybe my experience isn't relevant any more.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're interested in braking performance/shorter stopping distances at all, check out the Raybestos Element3 pads. Specifically the EHT369H. They're a hybrid compound and they do dust a little, but I did some research on this a while back and they're the most aggressive pads I could find. Even more so than track compounds from manufacturers like Hawk and EBC. They had a DOT friction code of GG at the time, it's now been upgraded to HH. The price is right too. I run them on both of my '97s (JB5 brakes on the red truck and JB6 on the Suburban) and I've been very happy with them so far.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5417244

If you buy from RockAuto don't forget to use our forum discount for 5% off.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/rockauto-com-discount-code-expires-august-11-2022.58054/
dont they also have element 3+(Not sure the difference if im correct, tho)