Cold Air Intake on TBI 350.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say the other power upgrades you've done probably outweigh the slight loss from higher IATs due to an open air cleaner.
Maybe, it still runs lower ETs in the cooler temps. I'm thinking about installing a IAT sensor so it'll adjust timing automatically. My EBL is capable of doing it. But when it's 110* ambient, a CAI is pretty superfluous.:driver:

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
don't need any aftermarket overpriced intakes. just remove the restrictive air box between fender and air cleaner, replace with 4" aluminum dryer duct from fender direct to air cleaner, removed little door in there. too. Makes a big difference in power and noise. I added a second 4" intake from driver fender to a new hole I cut into the air cleaner. 383 stroker needs lots of air to tow travel trailer.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what goes where the can is taped? It was this way when I got the truck.

Stuckinkali

Reaction score
Looking to get a CAI for my 94’ Sierra. Not looking to make extra power, I’m literally just looking for the better sound, it’s a stock 350, it’s not a powerhouse and I’m not gonna dump the money into it right now. I saw these off brand intakes on eBay for like 50$ and I was wondering if they would make a difference. I tried the ol lid flip and while I preferred the sound, and it did seem to have more top end power, it made the filter collect dust easier and just kinda looks trashy. Anyways here’s an example of what I’m talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-INTAKE-Kit-RED-Filter-For-88-95-GMC-C-K-R-V-Suburban-1500-2500-4-3-5-0-5-7/124491732856?fits=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item1cfc491778:g:xl0AAOSwFE5f3EjJ

Ya mean hot air intake??? Those cast aluminum CAI tubes and open air elements are totally worthless in my opinion (and all the testing on a dyno...) and further, can severely decrease your charge mix by super-heating your intake air due to heat soak. If you're looking to at the very least maintain the HP/TQ you have in that '94 TBI motor, may I suggest going a different direction towards the Volant CAI box and intake? I have one on my'94 OBS and many others here do as well and it will maintain your air at or below the temperature under the hood as it connects to the fenderwell port from your stock air box and pulls air from the outside in, rather than the super-heated air under the hood. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. I would wager there are many folks here who use this as I do. Comes with a cleanable cone filter too so even better!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...jtqSeUoiSziJjMp6pD-wBj6aonWGheKhoCwucQAvD_BwE
You must be registered for see images attach

Be well,

~Andy

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see REAL dyno testing of ANY of those aftermarket intake systems. This includes PART-THROTTLE driveability, not just full-throttle, mid-to-high RPM power. Removing the constriction in the OEM silencer (or using a non-restricted silencer) may work OK. Scrapping the whole works for an aftermarket, poorly-engineered mess is just crazy.

As a rule, the stupid "hats" on the throttle body/carb are an aerodynamic disaster. They tend to have directional flow, where the OEM air cleaner has wonderfully diffused flow. They "could" be designed for diffused flow, but generally they aren't because the folks making them are too dumb to understand what they're doing wrong.

And "cleanable" (i.e., oiled-gauze "K&N style") filters are typically cleaned too often. If they don't have a HEAVY accumulation of crud on the outside, leave them the hell alone. They filter better when they've got dirt build-up on them. The dirt becomes part of the filter media, when you remove it the filter is less effective.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If OP is after more growl, why not an open element old school filter setup? Schurkey brings up a good point, the TBI will draw a lot of airflow from the side, think about how a velocity stack works and the prince of the ultimate TBI mods. If you could ditch the collar and do the salad bowl intake you'd see better airflow. When I opened the lid on my Vortec airbox searching for an intake restriction, I observed more air entering the engine, but also that the air was so hot it was pulling timing. This was with EFILive.