Air intake through passenger fender?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RhettR7707

Reaction score
While I was looking at modifying my 1995 chevy k1500 350's air intake to be more efficient while still remaining as a true cold air intake, I came across an interesting idea. If the intake was ran from the factory air cleaner, and through sealed tubing all the way across the engine bay like normal, but with the silencer removed and the tubing ran into a hole in the passenger side fender, would there be really any significant gains in hp and torque? I would assume so as the air would still be cold, while being drawn through a much shorter, less restricted space. Just an interesting thought.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It already does that. This the tube I got from summit to replace the resonator. One side attached to air snorkel the other to fresh air intake tube , hies forward to headlight area. There already is thread discussing this .

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_124105144_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231030_124105144_HDR.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 13

RhettR7707

Reaction score
It already does that. This the tube I got from summit to replace the resonator. One side attached to air snorkel the other to fresh air intake tube , hies forward to headlight area. There already is thread discussing this .
I appreciate the reply. Would it not make a difference to take out all of the turns and restrictions that the original routing has going through the headlight, by instead going through the fender, directly beside the wheel?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You aren't going to gain power in a substantial way by playing with the intake on a stock motor. You can lose power by failing to isolate the intake air from the hot engine bay, but that's it.

RhettR7707

Reaction score
You aren't going to gain power in a substantial way by playing with the intake on a stock motor. You can lose power by failing to isolate the intake air from the hot engine bay, but that's it.
I see, just looking for a fairly easy way to get some hp gains, even if it's small. It's pretty much stock, just got some long tube headers on it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean like the off road snorkel guys with the external tube?
Have you looked at the thread, there are photos and replies.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
do you have a link for this

RhettR7707

Reaction score
You mean like the off road snorkel guys with the external tube?
Have you looked at the thread, there are photos and replies.
No, not quite. It would be a hole right through the passenger fender, with the end of the intake being pretty much right above the tire. Pretty much a straight shot from where the tube exits the air cleaner, to a hole in the fender, to eliminate any restrictions by not having much of any turns while still remaining a true cold intake.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the thread I mentioned , I posted more photos of tube showing the GM part numbers. And some of the guys said it was not available. That was a few months ago so that might have changed. Good luck!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, not quite. It would be a hole right through the passenger fender, with the end of the intake being pretty much right above the tire. Pretty much a straight shot from where the tube exits the air cleaner, to a hole in the fender, to eliminate any restrictions by not having much of any turns while still remaining a true cold intake.
Hole in outer fender panel. That's air moving past the fender. That would cause a low pressure area , and would pull air out of the hole, to follow high speed laminar flow.
Using a NACA duct would overcome this. Just search " NACA duct".
You must be registered for see images attach