Cold Air Intake on TBI 350.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to get a CAI for my 94’ Sierra. Not looking to make extra power, I’m literally just looking for the better sound, it’s a stock 350, it’s not a powerhouse and I’m not gonna dump the money into it right now. I saw these off brand intakes on eBay for like 50$ and I was wondering if they would make a difference. I tried the ol lid flip and while I preferred the sound, and it did seem to have more top end power, it made the filter collect dust easier and just kinda looks trashy. Anyways here’s an example of what I’m talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-INTAKE...vrolet&hash=item1cfc491778:g:xl0AAOSwFE5f3EjJ

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good price! I'd like to see a picture of it installed and how the cold air is routed to it. If it just hangs out in the middle of the engine bay, it ain't a CAI.
Jjust saying :33:

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a good price! I'd like to see a picture of it installed and how the cold air is routed to it. If it just hangs out in the middle of the engine bay, it ain't a CAI.
Jjust saying :33:
True, it sort of looks like it hangs above the exhaust manifold and the valve cover, but it should at least make it sound louder which is all I’m looking for. The stock one would probably get cooler air, but it chokes above 4K RPM. Not that the TBI 350 is a powerhouse, but I think more air in this case would be better than cooler air.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a separate restrictor piece built into the plastic tube that connects to the TBI air cleaner. I used a hacksaw blade to cut mine and pull it out. Boom. Free-flowing cold air intake.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a separate restrictor piece built into the plastic tube that connects to the TBI air cleaner. I used a hacksaw blade to cut mine and pull it out. Boom. Free-flowing cold air intake.
Do you mean the valve where the preheater hose goes into? Unless it’s plugged up and won’t move, I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, there's a venturi-shaped piece of plastic inside the plastic ducting from the core support to the air filter. It necks the airflow down pretty bad.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
No, there's a venturi-shaped piece of plastic inside the plastic ducting from the core support to the air filter. It necks the airflow down pretty bad.

That's 350 only. The lazy person's solution (mine) is to just get a plastic tube from a 305 truck, remove the bracketry & black cannister from yours and install :)

Last edited:

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s hard to get out, but well worth it in my opinion. You get better sound without the obnoxiousness of flipping the lid. Plus you retain the cold air intake and the heat stove still functions.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
+1 on removing the restrictor,
Consider adding a second snorkel to the air filter assembly and duct it to the outside, That and a K&N style filter will make plenty of noise and increase performance. If you can find a Hypertech Power Charger (Cereal bowl) that will help too.