Chipped Differntial housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebird

Reaction score
I have a 1997 K1500 Z71 5.7 liter V8. Recently had a gear failure a bearing exploded inside the diff and shredded the inside and anything around it. I bought a new rear end from a junkyard but noticed the new differntial was open and not locking. I want to reuse the Z71 differntial instead of the 4x4 diff but the chips had me worried.I wanted to know if it was possible I could run this differntial housing even with all the chips or if I needed to just stick with the open and downgrade her temporarily.

Attachments

• 20240308_151116.jpg
    20240308_151116.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240308_145328.jpg
    20240308_145328.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240308_083859.jpg
    20240308_083859.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 13

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't my luck it sieze on highway at 70 mph. A very bad day. You got it from the yard? Did you open it before you bought it?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That carrier looks like it's primed and ready to do the Gov-Bomb

Maybe not a fair comparison since you've got a 9.5" 14 bolt, but man it looks hurt!

The 8.5" 10 bolt is way wimpier.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if it was possible I could run this differntial housing even with all the chips or if I needed to just stick with the open and downgrade her temporarily.
The only way I'd run that center section is if I had to get the truck back on track and finish the race. Either swap in your junkyard open diff, or go back to the junkyard for a locking diff.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1997 K1500 Z71 5.7 liter V8. Recently had a gear failure a bearing exploded inside the diff and shredded the inside and anything around it. I bought a new rear end from a junkyard but noticed the new differntial was open and not locking. I want to reuse the Z71 differntial instead of the 4x4 diff but the chips had me worried.I wanted to know if it was possible I could run this differntial housing even with all the chips or if I needed to just stick with the open and downgrade her temporarily.
NO! You must Not use Pictured carrier itself; because it's badly scarred and WILL bust all to hades.
Get a replacement locking carrier & Inspect closely Before install. Any rough area or crack on replacement carrier Must be ground out and polished. No matter if new or used; Don't use China bearings in any diff or axle. Good luck with your project.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
NO! You must Not use Pictured carrier itself; because it's badly scarred and WILL bust all to hades.
Get a replacement locking carrier & Inspect closely Before install. Any rough area or crack on replacement carrier Must be ground out and polished. No matter if new or used; Don't use China bearings in any diff or axle. Good luck with your project.
Just out of curiosity what bearing manufactures do you recommend?

firebird

Reaction score
I wouldn't my luck it sieze on highway at 70 mph. A very bad day. You got it from the yard? Did you open it before you bought it?
The open diff is in very good shape I opened it and it looks fine

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what bearing manufactures do you recommend?
Timken. Anything else is a crapshoot. Maybe they've also offshored some of their bearings, but nobody's reported a drop in quality yet.

That said, my Richmond Gear rebuild kit for my Mustang's 8.8 came with SKF bearings, and I didn't worry about it. I figure if Richmond's shipping them, they probably aren't garbage.