Differential housing chipped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neb_96

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum. Wanted to know if anyone has seen this before and what it means. Can't find a similar issue online anywhere. I'm rebuilding a '98 1500 2WD and opened my diff housing to find what appears to be chipping where the bearings sit? This is at the end of the axle tube, just to be clear. Is this normal and what would you recommend? Never worked on an axle before. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220601_161342.jpg
    20220601_161342.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220601_161504.jpg
    20220601_161504.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 16

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe a casting defect? Or it chipped when they took it out of the casting when they manufactured it?

It should be fine. The bearings ride on that surface where the bearing caps go....

It's this area, right?
You must be registered for see images attach

I think the carrier bearing shims get wedged against that surface, so careful reinstallation will be necessary.

neb_96

Reaction score
Maybe a casting defect? Or it chipped when they took it out of the casting when they manufactured it?

It should be fine. The bearings ride on that surface where the bearing caps go....

It's this area, right?
You must be registered for see images attach

I think the carrier bearing shims get wedged against that surface, so careful reinstallation will be necessary.

Yes, the highlighted area is what I was referring to. It doesn't seem like a result of abuse or wear and tear. I was thinking it should be fine, but my OCD wants a full circle - I appreciate the reply

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the highlighted area is what I was referring to. It doesn't seem like a result of abuse or wear and tear. I was thinking it should be fine, but my OCD wants a full circle - I appreciate the reply
Why did the axle require a rebuild? How did the carrier bearings look? If everything looked ok, I would not worry about it...

I suppose you can go to a wrecking yard and nab an axle just for the housing :rolleyes:

neb_96

Reaction score
Why did the axle require a rebuild? How did the carrier bearings look? If everything looked ok, I would not worry about it...

I suppose you can go to a wrecking yard and nab an axle just for the housing :rolleyes:

I could, but that seems like a silly thing to do if this isn't going to be a problem. :)

To answer your question, I took the entire truck apart because this was a project from the start. I wanted a completely rebuilt truck, so the axle couldn't be excluded.