Gouges in axle housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
Alright so I finally got my old axle bearings out of my 14 bolt semi floater, however I have put some major gouges in where the bearing itself sits. Am I able to just press in new bearings and it’ll be fine? I’ve smoothed it over with sandpaper and removed any highs. Was thinking I could use JB Weld and smooth that to fill the gouges if I can’t put a new bearing in them the way it is now. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6059.jpeg
    IMG_6059.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 21

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I finally got my old axle bearings out of my 14 bolt semi floater, however I have put some major gouges in where the bearing itself sits. Am I able to just press in new bearings and it’ll be fine? I’ve smoothed it over with sandpaper and removed any highs. Was thinking I could use JB Weld and smooth that to fill the gouges if I can’t put a new bearing in them the way it is now. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
I've never been inside a 14 bolt, but if it's like any other bearings I've dealt with, the race should be able to be removed and a new one installed. The replacement bearings should come with new ones.
I wouldn't 1/2 ass this with JB when you should be able to use some kind of removal tool to knock the race out. Probably a slid hammer attachment of some kind.
I'm sure if you check YouTube there will be videos on how it's done.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’ll be fine. All the roller bearings are on the inside. It’s just the outer cage that touches that part after you install the new bearings.

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I think ? What did you do? To do that to the area the bearing sits? Did you use an air hammer and full auto into the race support and down the tube? Really , finese and the right tool, not every job needs a 800 lb gorilla. :3811797817_8d685371

ctvaughn

Reaction score
What I think ? What did you do? To do that to the area the bearing sits? Did you use an air hammer and full auto into the race support and down the tube? Really , finese and the right tool, not every job needs a 800 lb gorilla. :3811797817_8d685371
Bearing was siezed inside and puller just broke them apart. I dremeled a groove hoping to be able to relieve some pressure and crack the bearing race in half. The transition from grounded down bearing to grounded out housing is seamless so I had dug in too deep. I did this not once, but twice. Idiot mistake, but hopefully not an expensive one.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
I've never been inside a 14 bolt, but if it's like any other bearings I've dealt with, the race should be able to be removed and a new one installed. The replacement bearings should come with new ones.
I wouldn't 1/2 ass this with JB when you should be able to use some kind of removal tool to knock the race out. Probably a slid hammer attachment of some kind.
I'm sure if you check YouTube there will be videos on how it's done.
The gouges aren’t in the bearing it is where the bearing sits.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
It’ll be fine. All the roller bearings are on the inside. It’s just the outer cage that touches that part after you install the new bearings.

You must be registered for see images attach
Okay that is what I was wondering. Just don’t want to eat my bearings if I can avoid it. Thanks

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were a tapered roller bearing and that was on the outer race, it would be trash, but you could replace the race. Since it's a cylindrical roller bearing and the outer race goes over your damage, you'll be alright, but you can't pop out that surface and replace it. If you're racing or carrying heavy loads you'll want to keep an eye out for cracks in that area.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
If it were a tapered roller bearing and that was on the outer race, it would be trash, but you could replace the race. Since it's a cylindrical roller bearing and the outer race goes over your damage, you'll be alright, but you can't pop out that surface and replace it. If you're racing or carrying heavy loads you'll want to keep an eye out for cracks in that area.
The truck is on 35s, but it is a fully stock 350 tbi and I only really need to tow my nova once in a blue moon. I’ll keep an eye out, thanks.