Slight grinding clanking noise coming from inside axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ol-Betsy

Reaction score
When driving slowly I can hear metal on metal, and I think it's coming from where the cv axle meets the front diff axle. If that makes sense... I crawled under and hear a similar noise if I hit the axle with my hand. Is this common? 4wd still works so I'm not overly concerned.

I also hear humming when driving faster and thought it was tire related but I just got new tires and nothing has changed. Sounds like it's either from an air channel or maybe a bad bearing. What's in there where the axle is connected?
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1000001075.jpg
    1000001075.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 7

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. 1, a hydraulic jack is lifting a multi ton vehicle, the only thing keeping that multi ton vehicle from turning you into a smashed tomato is a small rubber O ring. Always use a jack stand . Live long and happy life.
With the right tire off the ground and safely supported, spin at varied rates, narrow down if it's the CV joint ( rubber boot ) , or the inner axle carrier bearing . The seal is starting to leak. I would pull the 12 point bolts out so I could turn the inner shaft separately to check the bearing feel. Good luck.

ol-Betsy

Reaction score
No. 1, a hydraulic jack is lifting a multi ton vehicle, the only thing keeping that multi ton vehicle from turning you into a smashed tomato is a small rubber O ring. Always use a jack stand . Live long and happy life.
With the right tire off the ground and safely supported, spin at varied rates, narrow down if it's the CV joint ( rubber boot ) , or the inner axle carrier bearing . The seal is starting to leak. I would pull the 12 point bolts out so I could turn the inner shaft separately to check the bearing feel. Good luck.
I have the front driver's wheel chopped and that jack could fail and id still have clearance to not be hit. This was a quick 2 minute check but I understand your concern on death. Thank you.

I rotated the wheel and tried to clarify, that it's coming from the section I circled where the cv axle goes into that connecting piece. Must be the bearing going bad

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always start with, Year, make , model, eng, trans. They all look the same 30 ft away. Open the doors and hood there all different.
There's a sticky for the factory OE service manuals, and / or if you do a search in forum for service manuals you can download for free the manuals for your year. If more than 1 , get all for your year. It will be your new BFF. Diagrams step by step procedures. You chock a wheel of tire.