Sound coming from back of transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToasyNut

Reaction score
Hey guys, there seems to be a sound coming from the rear of my transmission, where it connects to the driveshaft. The noise only occurs when I’m gear, and is present both when moving and when not moving. It kind of sounds like a bolt rattling around in a can. I got under the truck and felt the driveshaft, and i can jiggle it around, I’ve heard there’s not supposed to be any play, and that there might be a bearing I need to replace. I’m not very knowledgeable about transmissions, so if yall could lead me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, there seems to be a sound coming from the rear of my transmission, where it connects to the driveshaft. The noise only occurs when I’m gear, and is present both when moving and when not moving. It kind of sounds like a bolt rattling around in a can. I got under the truck and felt the driveshaft, and i can jiggle it around, I’ve heard there’s not supposed to be any play, and that there might be a bearing I need to replace. I’m not very knowledgeable about transmissions, so if yall could lead me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you!
What transmission do you have?

Noises while in gear, if originating from the transmission as described are usually caused by failing planetary carrier pinion gears.

Trans needs to come out for overhaul, if that is the situation with yours.

The pinion's needle bearings wear out, play develops in the pinion shaft upon which the pinion gear rotates as it meshes with the sun gear and ring gear. Noises will get more pronounced when a clutch pack or band that meshes with the outer portion of the ring gear (sometimes also called a "clutch hub" is applied, it "holds" the rin gear so gear reduction can take place. This will make weak/failing planets noiser than when the clutch or band is not applied.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always start with " year, make, model, eng, trans " . Twenty feet away they all look the same, open the doors and hood there all different.