What is this high pitched sound coming from right side of the engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChaosInbound

Reaction score
I thought it was the AC Compressor but I removed it and bypassed it. I removed the belt and the sound went away. Could it be the power steering pump? It is not audible during low rps and only is heard in higher rpms. I don't always hear it always as well. The engine needs to heat up for me to hear it sometimes. It is a 97 C1500

Here is a video of the sound.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like , most likely a pump noise, can you feel the vibration on the pump body? Get a stethoscope, or long screwdriver, to hold on suspected item , put handle to ear , listen for offending whinny object. Use your brain , don't get caught in moving things! :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely a vacuum leak if the noise goes away when the belt is removed.

I'd be checking each pulley/accessory, AND verifying that the tensioner isn't out of it's expected angular-motion range.

Which reminds me...my '88 K1500 tensioner has issues, and it's way out of it's range, so I probably need a belt, too.