Whining noise from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a whining noise coming from the engine when at idle. The whining stops when I rev the engine, then returns when the engine returns to idle. The whining occurs both in gear and neutral.

I removed the serpentine belt - and the whining noise is still there. I believe that rules out the alternator, a/c compressor, water pump, power steering pump, and tensioner pulley.

I bought a mechanics stethoscope, but still can't identify where it's coming from. I believe it is internal in the engine. All fluids are good.

Any ideas what's causing it... and how to diagnose it? Thank You!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't hear the noise from here, so here's my best guess. Check your distributor cap, and if that's all good, pull off your bellhousing cover and check all the torque converter bolts.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whining? Maybe whistling?

Vacuum leak at split vacuum hose, or deteriorated gasket?
Schurkey - you were correct!
Ends up this was an easy fix.
Years ago that plastic tube that connects the PCV valve to the base of TBI, got brittle and broke. Its a vacuum line. I replaced it with a rubber fuel line. All worked well for years, but eventually the rubber line softened up enough and collapsed in on itself. It was making a squealing noise (pretty loud), similar to stretching the outlet of a balloon as a kid. I replaced that fuel line with a stiffer line that was reinforced. The whining/whistling is gone. Of all the problems that could have been - I'm happy this was a quick/easy/cheap fix.
Thanks for the note above - you were right.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked - that replacement tube (Dorman 46001) was only $4.28 at amazon, so I ordered the correct replacement.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya gotta use the correct material of hose. They will melt or swell, or burst, just a bad day. Whatever you're changing make sure it's rated for what your changing / replacing.