Whining alternator on my ‘94

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckerDad23

Reaction score
I don't think that's a big deal.
How are your belts, tensioner, idler pulley, etc?
New Belt. The tensioner is very strong, possibly overly strong, but I’ve heard many people say the tension is high on these. The other pulleys seem to be fine, but I’m going to check them again. Would you suggest anything other than just spinning them by hand?

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A bad pulley might not feel bad by hand. I just replace the entire system yearly myself.
For what it's worth, my alternator has been whining for five years. If the noise ever changes or stops I will start to worry.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, actually listen to your components. Use a long screwdriver, or even a dowel, and put one end on a suspected noise maker, then put your ear to the other end and listen. The noisy component while become obvious in short order. Be sure to listen to all of mechanical moving components to get an overall sound of each.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, old thread but I have the same problem. 1994 GMC K1500.

It's very definitely an alternator whine, and I've added several serious new grounds to this truck, and it's a new battery. The alternator is a new one from Rock Auto, but I actually bought it a year ago, so can't return it. (Don't want to hassle with that anyway, I'll keep it as a spare.)

The whine drives me nuts!!

So, new alternator time.

What, (and from where) do you guys recommend for a high amp, quality, but fair priced alternator??

Thanks!!
Vettepilot

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last alternator I bought came from the Treasure Yard. OEM, $5.

Last one I bought "rebuilt" came from either NAPA, or CarQuest/Advance Auto. I'd have no problem buying from O'Reillys, Auto-Valu, and--in a pinch--AutoZone or some other independent store.

The last one a family-member supplied to me for their own vehicle came from a small-town independent auto-parts store; showed up in a box with a brand-name I'd never heard of. But the part number sticker on the alternator itself crossed-over exactly to an O'Reillys number. They were obviously getting their rebuilt alternators from the same rebuilder but in different multi-color boxes.

When offered a choice, I get "rebuilt" rather than "new" since "new" generally means "Made in Communist China". The rebuilt probably has at least some OEM parts in it which are proven to have worked in a previous life.

If "high amp" means something beyond the ~100+ ampere rating of an OEM alternator, I'd be looking for a newer OEM from a different vehicle that happens to fit the mounting bracket. I've never needed such a creature, so I have only the roughest estimate of what might be used--CS144 instead of CS130, or perhaps something even newer.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alternator is new, has only about 500 miles on it

The bearings are fine.
The volts are fine.
Other idlers, bearings are also new and smooth/ quiet.

Can you just trust me that it's making noise (a classic alternator whine), and I want to replace it with a good, high amp alternator and just need a recommendation?

I imagine the stator is partly bad, which will cause the specific noise I'm hearing. I haven't bothered to check amps, but with a likely partial bad stator, it's probably not making rated amps. It just doesn't matter--> it's noisy and I want to replace it.

60 year professional mechanic. Been out of it for a while. What's a good, high amp alternator option that will fit?

Vettepilot

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you just trust me that it's making noise (a classic alternator whine)

I've heard at least two types of "classic alternator whine", so that's why I asked. You original post didn't say if the "whine" was heard in the radio speakers or emanating from the alternator.

Last edited: