Is this axle bad? (95 C1500 2WD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the left and right axles the same? I didn't think about it earlier, but the 96 isn't easily moveable right now, and there isn't enough clearance to get the left side out.
Yes, same. Although, what condition is the other 95? If both 96’s are better, I’d personally use them and replace both seals at once.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming, of course, that they're the same-design axle. If one is an 8.5 ring gear and the other is a 9.5, stuff won't swap.

Most likely they're both 8.5 "ten bolt" axles. Then about the only thing you have to worry about is the switch in '88/'89 to upgrade the bearing sizes and axle shaft diameter.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming, of course, that they're the same-design axle. If one is an 8.5 ring gear and the other is a 9.5, stuff won't swap.

Most likely they're both 8.5 "ten bolt" axles. Then about the only thing you have to worry about is the switch in '88/'89 to upgrade the bearing sizes and axle shaft diameter.

Bearing sizes? When I decided to replace my cross shaft, sun gears, and side gears in my 88 I found that I could get the set for 89 as I was in possession of later shafts. I don't recall swapping bearings and seals on that day, but the axles did get changed over.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the 8.5 axle got uprated in '88 or '89, from 28-spline to 30-spline axle shafts. Don't the larger axle shafts need different bearings than the smaller shafts? I was thinking that both the outer bearings and the differential carrier bearings were bigger on the 30-spline axles.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP has a 95, but his parts truck is a 96, so he should be good. Both C1500’s.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the 8.5 axle got uprated in '88 or '89, from 28-spline to 30-spline axle shafts. Don't the larger axle shafts need different bearings than the smaller shafts? I was thinking that both the outer bearings and the differential carrier bearings were bigger on the 30-spline axles.

Maybe I'm wrong.

It did get the bump in axle spline count, but with a set of AAM spider/side gears with new cross shaft it all went right back in with the 30 splines that I had acquired. I never removed the differential carrier either. 95&96 would be the same 30 spline count so interchangeable if that surface is as bad as it looks.

tireshark

Reaction score
Well the emery improved it, but it still has issues. I started with 150 grit and when it didn't seem to be helping a lot, I used the 80 grit. It helped more, but there is still a very noticeable by touch/nail area at the yellow arrow. I'm still glad I tried, so that I have a better idea of what is/isn't feasible when it comes to polishing an axle. Here's a pic with the same location for the blue/yellow arrows from original pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

I pulled the 96 axle, and was expecting it to be as bad or worse, because the diff bolts and the drum were rusted pretty bad, but this axle is in much much better condition than what was on the 95. I only used a 220 grit emery to spiff it up a bit, and it basically feels like glass at the bearing area, and I can't catch a nail on anything.

This picture was taken at dark so it's not the best... there is a visible line at the green arrow, but it's smooth as glass when I run my finger across it. There are a few small brownish discolored splotches here and there near the base, but they are also smooth, and they are pretty much only on the area that's pictured.

So unless anyone can think of a major objection, I'll probably use the 96 axle. I'll keep the thread updated, really appreciate the input.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0006d55-png.351708

If the yellow area is the sealing surface (and I'm sure it is) then the blue arrow is wear from the bearing.

You probably want to replace that bearing so the replacement axle doesn't get scored there also.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have a source of "spare" axle shaft(s) in usable condition, consider replacing the ENTIRE axle assembly with one that has the much-better 11.x Duo-Servo rear brakes. The 9.5" axle upgrade from a light-duty 3/4 ton is easy on 4WD, but tougher on 2WD because the axle shafts are set up for 6 lug studs, which means different wheels to go with the upgraded axle, or custom axle shafts.
C1500 Suburban, C1500 extended cab/longbed, both of these are donors for the big brakes if you need 5 lug.

Richard

tireshark

Reaction score
Well, I'm not having good luck with this job. Been busy with other things for a few days, so I left it on a jack stand. Returned home today and the jack stand had tipped over, and the truck fell on the ground. I had it chucked while I was underneath it working on the diff cover, but I pulled one of the chucks afterwards to use for something, and forgot to put it back. Looks like it rolled about a foot backwards. It was on really level ground, but we had rain today, so maybe water collected in the bed and caused it to shift, who knows. Doubly frustrating because when I initially put it on the jack stand, I didn't like how it was sitting, so I jacked it back up and re-positioned it to make extra sure it was stable.

Anyone think this caused more damage to something? It fell on wet chat, so maybe it sank into it a bit and absorbed some of the impact. The axle shaft was out when it fell... would rolling about a foot mess up anything with the gearing in the differential case? It was in park, but I guess having one of the axles out let it roll?

I did notice a good bit of fluid on the bottom of the opposite tire that was not there on my initial inspection of the tires. Can't tell if it's brake fluid or gear oil. Not sure if that's from this fall, or if it's a coincidental leak. The leak pattern goes about a quarter up one side and has a consistent length with rolling about a foot backwards. Would having the other axle out cause this axle to shift as it rolled, and mess up the seal? Don't know, but I will have to also take that drum off and see what's going on.

Last pic is after I got it back up. There doesn't appear to be any damage on a quick visual inspection, and that's the only thing I saw making contact with the ground.

Thanks again for any input.

Last edited: