Front Differential problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 94 Chevy K1500 4x4 with a manual shifting 4x4. The front differential is giving me problems now. I noticed this while trying to turn the front passenger wheel while in 2wd. The passenger side axle is locked like it's in 4x4 all the time, and I cannot get it to start spinning freely. Additionally the drivers side one always spins and even when I engage 4x4 it just continues to spin.

I disconnected the front driveshaft and the axle is still locked up and I don't know what's going on. Is my front differential ******** the bed?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the brake locked up? I'd check that first. Need to take all that crap off anyway if its something else. CV could be F'd up....

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the brake locked up? I'd check that first. Need to take all that crap off anyway if its something else. CV could be F'd up....
Brakes were off already. And the CV on that side was royallyyyy screwed. Theres grease spewed everywhere from it. Sure enough I got the CV off and the axle spins now.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i need to order a new passenger side cv axle (spewed grease everywhere from torn boots) question is would I be okay to drive the truck if I disassemble that CV axle and just have the splined part going through the bearing with the axle nut on so the bearing doesnt fall apart?(basically making a stub shaft on one side with the other having a CV still) I still have a good CV axle for the drivers side so Im not sure if it'll make the truck feel wonky

I dont use 4x4 at all so that's why I want to do this temporarily.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd need the outer CV joint and the bigass nut, so the wheel hub doesn't come apart.

Some hub/bearing assemblies don't need that--the ones on my Trailblazer can be run permanently without a CV joint holding the hub together. But I don't know of any like that for the K series GMT400s.

Problem is, how do you seal the other end? The differential isn't going to appreciate having an open CV shaft hole. Lube gets out, road grit gets in.

Park the truck until the replacement shaft shows up.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a flange on the axle end where the CV bolts on, it's not open like a regular axle....

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only reason I remembered cause my 99 is torn apart, rebuilding the front end and put the lift kit on...