Changed head unit and speakers. Still no sound...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you get sound from the speakers when they are not attached to the door?

I had one once that worked until I put it in the door. When installed, the terminals on the speaker were barely touching the metal on the door and shorting it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also a possibility. I had a set of speakers in the rear deck of an old Maxima that would occasionally cut out and I had a hell of a time figuring it out. Turns out that the way they were mounted caused part of the trunk latch mechanism to make contact with the terminals, but ONLY when the trunk lid was closed. I had a few major head scratch moments laying back there looking up, trying to figure out what in the hell was going on. Finally moved the trunk lid and watched that bar move closer... "Oh ****..."

I turned them 1/4 turn in the holes and never had that problem again.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one that had that issue. It's the simplest little things that'll make you cuss sometimes.

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
They don't work while out of the door and connected either. That's kinda what I figured with the blue wire. I may just pull new speaker wires to the speakers because I'm lost.

Chisum72

Reaction score
Also, if your head unit has built in protection and you blew a speaker or the sub, it won't play anything until that has been fixed.

tooslowtahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory amp may still be hooked up then you would need the blue wire. Also I had to bypass my factory amp kept causing all kinds of things like speakers cutting off once volume reached a certain point.

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
have been messing with it again today, finally, I have both 12v switched and battery power, but I am only reading continuity on the speakers. take all the speakers off the switch and test with just one? I'm testing with a brand new speaker straight from the output on the stereo.

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
One of the stupid 4x10s blew and killed the whole system. thank you chisum72 for telling me about the protection thing. I was so incredibly confused.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The stupid 4x10s

Such a strange size. IMO, speakers should be round. Those speaker dimensions are as about as far as you can get from that!
I would think that 2, 4" round speakers in that space wired n parallel would be much more efficient.
Watch the impedance load, though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Such a strange size. IMO, speakers should be round. Those speaker dimensions are as about as far as you can get from that!
I would think that 2, 4" round speakers in that space wired n parallel would be much more efficient.
Watch the impedance load, though.

This is a damn good idea, and I agree about the superiority of round speakers. Infinity used to make some 2 Ohm 4" speakers that would work awesome for this but it appears they've been discontinued. I'm sure someone out there makes something that would work, though.

That said, there's some decent 4x10s out there. I run these Kicker KS series in the back of my Suburban and they're not bad at all.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641K4104/Kicker-41KSC4104.html?tp=105