95+ Head Unit Recommendations & General advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be upgrading the head unit in my ‘95 Sierra. I do not need a CD player, prefer double din, and don’t necessarily need CarPlay (but it wouldn’t be a bad feature to have). I want to avoid modifying the sub-dash as much as possible.

So far I’ve got a 12” RF subwoofer with supporting amp. I am planning on running components with crossovers in the front doors. Will I need to have something for the 4x6 in the rear pillar or can I just unhook those? Someone told me that if I didn’t replace them that my whole system would sound like crap. Is this true?

There is a guy who modified the stock radio for Bluetooth, but it doesn’t have the necessary outputs that I need for my system, unfortunately. It looks great. I wish I could run it.

Any help is appreciated!

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a guy that also does sub pre outs on factory radio. I’m running a factory radio with my subs.

I’m kinda liking the android radio I put in my wife’s truck. A lot of cool options that make it look factory.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy that also does sub pre outs on factory radio. I’m running a factory radio with my subs.

I’m kinda liking the android radio I put in my wife’s truck. A lot of cool options that make it look factory.
Link to the guy who does the sub pre-outs?

Yeah, android auto /CarPlay are really handy.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try to find his contact info. Meet him at a swap meet. I believe he sells on eBay.

I’m using a jl audio line converter and a inline pac LC1 and it sounds great with the factory radio

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a line converter if you want to keep the stock radio.

Otherwise stick with a multimedia only type setup to keep the depth to a minimum. Retrosound makes a drop in unit that looks like an OEM delco also, it would have all your necessary RCA pre-outs and BT already in the box.

Replace the rear 4x6's or replace them with something like 6x9's under the seat. You'll want those back speakers for better sampling.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, I was hoping I could get away from having to do any rear speakers. I will add something, though. Probably not 6x9s under the seat as that is where my amp rack will be. I’ll pick up a set of quality 4x6s and just run those off the head unit.

Thinking about it more, I will probably just get an aftermarket double din. I like having more channels to adjust the sound, rather than 2 on the factory radio.

@OutlawDrifter, I know you had that thread with the floating screen and we discussed some options there. I have found some media receivers that fit nicely and don’t require significant modification to the sub-dash.

My friend “helped” me with the system in my ‘92 but I admittedly don’t know much about audio. I’ve seen a couple videos on how to build one; my first goal is to decide on the layout and come up with what I need exactly.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
@OutlawDrifter, I know you had that thread with the floating screen and we discussed some options there. I have found some media receivers that fit nicely and don’t require significant modification to the sub-dash.

I don't think that was me, I might have commented in a thread, but definitely didn't start one. I'm no audiophile, just have come to appreciate better interior sound from my vehicles in my advancing age.

The setup in my Suburban is perfect for my ears, and its built with mid(or bargain)-range, not top shelf stuff (less the headunit, it was top shelf when purchased).

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that was me, I might have commented in a thread, but definitely didn't start one. I'm no audiophile, just have come to appreciate better interior sound from my vehicles in my advancing age.

The setup in my Suburban is perfect for my ears, and its built with mid(or bargain)-range, not top shelf stuff (less the headunit, it was top shelf when purchased).
My mistake. I think it was Any4xx but I can’t find the thread now.

Yep, I don’t need it to rattle the windows, I just need it to be perfect for my ears.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put in a sony xav-ax5600, not sure if its the most current model in that line, but its a double din screen with single din hardware, best way i coukd describe it, bascially You dont have to hack up the bottom back side of the dash to make it fit and gives more room for your cables. This model has a hdmi port for plugging in fire sticks, switches, or whatever

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put in a sony xav-ax5600, not sure if its the most current model in that line, but its a double din screen with single din hardware, best way i coukd describe it, bascially You dont have to hack up the bottom back side of the dash to make it fit and gives more room for your cables. This model has a hdmi port for plugging in fire sticks, switches, or whatever
That sounds nice. I looked it up, too. Do you have a thread/post/photo of how it looks installed?