Carb/fuel advice help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I’m planning out a 383 stroker build and am aiming for about 400hp at the flywheel.

it is a 1990 regular cab step side 5 speed manual. I’m aware I’ll have to upgrade the tranny to a beefier one but I plan to get the motor running first and drive it super easy until I have more money for a nv4500 swap.

I’m doing a 383 kit that come with rods and pistons, AFR heads, some sort of intake setup (haven’t decided yet), and a cam (haven’t decided exactly but probably more in the mild side, better than stock but don’t want a crazy loping cam.

It is going to be a daily driver and I’m trying to figure out a way to fuel this build because from what iv found my stock TBI is not good for that much HP.

Iv looked into sniper and terminator but almost everyone iv talked to says they recommend 10/10 on a toy but not so much for a daily.

It doesn’t seem possible from what iv found to modify my stock TBI to feed that much HP.

Iv never owned a carbureted vehicle before but am a gear head and have many race quads and dirt bikes so I’m not a complete stranger to carburetors.

My question is…

I live in northern ut, we get 110 degree summers and the past couple weeks have Been -9. Is a carb a good idea in cold weather or will I be walking to work because my dam truck wouldn’t start. Also someone told me I’ll have to rejet for temp? I’m not sure about trucks but I know my dirt bikes run just as good at 10 degrees as they do 110. There are a lot of mountain passes by my house that have about 1000ft of elevation difference. Will I be fine to run over them with the same jetting I will have it tuned too or will I be bogging to dam much. Cruze control is a must, can I keep it with a carb or no?

Also if anyone does know what I would need to build my TBI up, where I could buy what I need, and a price that would be great.

Also anyone know if a TPI system off of a corvette is enough to feed it and if it’s a bolt on too our trucks?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This article is good.https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/make-power-with-gm-tbi-throttle-body-injection/
Covers all the basics, it's a start.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love carbs but I wouldn’t use one in your application. Buy Holley TBI kit and enjoy driving instead of tuning. Take it to a chassis dyno and have it tuned by a pro. Leave your NV-3500 just add a stronger clutch. If you aren’t power shifting it the 3500 will last for years and years.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I love carbs but I wouldn’t use one in your application. Buy Holley TBI kit and enjoy driving instead of tuning. Take it to a chassis dyno and have it tuned by a pro. Leave your NV-3500 just add a stronger clutch. If you aren’t power shifting it the 3500 will last for years and years.
Don’t think the Holley kit will be to finicky for a daily driver?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t think the Holley kit will be to finicky for a daily driver?
No I dont think so. The key is in the install. Pay someone who’s OCD to do the wiring install and you won’t have any issues. Most issues are from poor installation. Use Holley, they have the best customer support vs Fitech or edelbrock. The good versions can be laptop tuned or self tuning. Buy a good one, but TBI is fine you don’t need multi port. Build the fuel system well and you won’t have an issue.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holley sells refurbished Snipers for under a grand. That's what I put on my truck. It looks like Holley is killing off this line completely, so support may be short-lived.

The new Sniper 2s are only $300 more.

Note that Holley will nickel and dime you to death with stuff that should be included in the kit. You absolutely require the $16 "throttle arm extension".