95+ Head Unit Recommendations & General advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re definitely going to want an amp with a higher signal to noise ratio. 93db is about the lowest I like. Less than that and you’ll start thinking you’ve got tinnitus lol
I never even thought to check that ratio out. I will do that. I did look at a Sound Control (Audio Control?) amp. It was pricey. Didn’t get a figure on the ratio.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would look at either Focal, Morel or even the Hertz(which I don’t have any experience with, but have heard good things). I prefer the smooth, natural sound of the Morels.
These are in the same price range as the rf but are a much better sounding set. The next set up, the Ultras are even better.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like those Morels. I need to sit down and read through your thread again. I’m looking to do this whole build (excluding sound deadener) for under $1,000. That is my max budget. I’m also probably going to upgrade my alternator, but that won’t eat into the budget.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. Sony XAV-AX3200 - $300
  2. Rockford Fosgate Punch P300X2 - $250
  3. 12”sub box - $220
  4. Morel Maximo 6 - $170
I like the Sony head unit, clean looking with good features for the price.

I would stick with the RF 2-channel, it has plenty of power for a 2-way front component set, and it matches the sub amp(a little quirk of mine).

I have no experience with Ground Shaker, but if you could find a box that was down firing and went on the passenger side, you would be happier.

And I still like the Morels at that price point, they sound awesome.

That would put under budget at $940, and with a little help tuning it, would sound really good.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, @SNCTMPL. I am really appreciative. I am already excited about this build. Going to look into the Ultras and get a feel for them compared to the Maximos. I know you said they were a nice upgrade.

Good to know on the box - I hadn’t even thought about firing direction. Just used to forward. I will have to do some looking or just build my own. I was already planning on building an amp rack. I need everything to be neat and tidy.

Tuning this system will be something I’ve never really done. Always set by ear and I know there is a lot left on the table.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread again. I've been compiling a list of stuff that I want to buy for this project. I am going to forgo the double din. The fitment on those metra dash kits (the ones that replace the whole bezel) just doesn't look the greatest. The gaps appear too large for my liking. So I've got two options.

1FactoryRadio sells the OE head unit with the necessary outputs for subs/amps and has bluetooth. I like that, but lose a display for navigation. It would be clean and easy to install. Also affordable at $300.

The other option Specifically the Alpine Halo iLX-F509. Yeah, it's pricey ($1,200) but it fits the bill. I made a template of the actual size (9.155"x5.935") and I think it will be fine. Plus, you can choose your mounting depth with these; 1.25" or 2.125". Still, it is a lot of money.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Santa is bringing me one of those Bluetooth factory radios :naughty:

I almost put kenwoods version of the alpine unit in the fire chief, but saw a video showing the shifter being obtrusive while in drive… check that with your template before spending that much money lol