95+ Head Unit Recommendations & General advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I’ve got my cart on crutchfield and I should post it here. I’m on the fence about the components I have picked out. If I need to get an amp to run them, fine. I was hoping I’d be able to run them off the upgraded head unit but I don’t recall the specs. It might be a better option to get an amp, better components, and a crossover. I’ve just been busy with my engine.

@Orpedcrow - I’ve seen some audio control stuff on YouTube. It looks like it’s good quality. And 100% agree on the pillar plastic. Look at it wrong and it breaks. If I have to, I’ll put 4” in the rear pillars but I’m not planning on it.

@SNCTMPL - thanks for sharing that thread. Also great to hear that I can skip the rears! I do plan on applying sound deadener to the interior - Butyl rubber and closed cell foam, as well as an additional layer of rubber on the floor if I’m able. The box for the sub is sealed. I have to find the company that makes it but it meets the specs that RF recommends for the sub.

Hoping to have some time tomorrow to look through my cart and revise some things. It seems like I better spend the money on nicer components.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is what I have put together for the GMC @SNCTMPL.

Head Unit: Sony XAV-AX3200
Has good reviews, @caw_86 has one and it looks good.

Components: Rockford Fosgate P165-SE
60 watts RMS with 120 watts RMS peak power. The head unit only puts out 55 RMS per channel. I am figuring that I will need to get an amp for these. I did see an option for 6.5s that wouldn't need an amp but they were less powerful. If I am going to forgo the rears I'd rather have something with more power up front. This set comes with crossovers.

Amp: Rockford Fosgate Punch P300X2
100 RMS per channel, 2 channel amp. This seems appropriate for the components.

Sub: Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-12
I've already got this from a previous truck, never installed. Dual 2 ohm, 12" shallow mount.

Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate Punch P500X1bd
I've already got this, too. 500 watt RMS. Mine is tested/certified at 737 watts RMS. I've got the birth certificate from RF.

Box: BLACK 12" SINGLE SEALED SUB BOX, FITS CHEVY SILVERADO & GMC SIERRA EXTENDED-CAB 1988-1998GS-OCHV112B
This meets RF's box volume requirements. I don't care to build another box, haha.

So that is the list so far. I've also got all the necessary parts to install the sub and amp. Stinger and KnuKonceptz for the win. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I'm open to using other brands besides RF, but I figured since I have the sub and mono amp for it, I'd try to keep it all within the same brand. It also works with my budget.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running two of these (the dual 4 ohm versions) in my red truck for years now. I've been very happy with them.
I like their subs. It’s all I’ve ever used though I’ll admit. I’ve got two 10s in my ‘92.
You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally dislike the way those fosgate components sound. I’ve installed several in motorcycles.
I do however LOVE the way hertz sounds. Even their entry level stuff.

This amp has a MUCH better signal to noise ratio.

Note: it’s been many years since I’ve been in mobile audio so I don’t know if hertz has outsourced to the PRC like everybody else.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally dislike the way those fosgate components sound.

Same. I like their higher end subs and amps, but I never was a fan of their components personally. Kind of harsh sounding IMO, which is weird coming from me because I run 1980s Klipsch Heresys at home so I'm used to punchy, in-your-face sound.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, you guys are right about the components. My buddy’s truck is all RF and I remember mentioning that it was kind of harsh sounding. It was uncomfortable at loud, windows down volume. I’ll look into the Hertz. Appreciate the feedback. This has to be a good all-around system. I listen to music but I also listen to a lot of podcasts and NPR on occasion.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
podcasts and NPR on occasion.
You’re definitely going to want an amp with a higher signal to noise ratio. 93db is about the lowest I like. Less than that and you’ll start thinking you’ve got tinnitus lol