Changed head unit and speakers. Still no sound...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
Sorry for my first post being a question... I know kinda cruddy forum etiquette. But anyway. I have a 96 2 door Tahoe. It has an older aftermarket jvc head unit and a hideaway Kenwood sub. It also has bose door speakers from a 2000s caddy sls. Had some friends in the car and they put their hip hop trash on my radio so I cranked the sub (I listen to country and it was kinda fun to hear the new sub hit a little) ... was fine for a long time then the door speakers just stopped all together and don't make any sound. I was really hoping that maybe the fronts are fused or something... only the sub works now.

Anyone know off the top of their head. I could go look but my truck is parked in Lincoln park and its cold outside.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first concern would be how in the hell you got Bose speakers to work with an aftermarket deck without any adapters... As a rule of thumb Bose stuff does not play well with others.

To answer your question though, no, there are no fuses on any of the speaker lines. Sounds like you either blew both of the speakers or blew the front channels on the head unit.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What df2x4 said!
That'll teach you for playing that hippity-hoppity crap! Would of been impressed though if you said you had some metal cranked & were just-a rockin'! Lol!

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
Self tapped them into the location of the stock speakers and plugged in like factory. Sounded great when they were working. Thanks for the responses. Hopefully the head unit has a fuse to the speakers I guess I'm outta luck. And sewlow I agree... but when single car chicks are in question, they get the aux cord haha

cplanubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sound like the pre amp in the head unit went out
If you want to check the speakers use a 9v battery attach a wire to the + and - on the battery and touch it to the + and - on the speakers just don't leave it on to long if the speakers are good you should hear a buzz/static sound

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
Well I'm confused. I have a brand new head unit in the car and new speakers hooked up and still have nothing. What is going on? Is it possible that I melted the coating off the wires and they're dead shorting somewhere? I feel like thats a little extreme...

96twodoorhoe

Reaction score
The new head unit is on and functioning correctly as far as I can tell. I was told that the blue wire (remote something. I think) needs to be hooked to the remote output in the new head unit. My sub is hooked up there. But at this point I'll try anything if it means not pulling new wire to the speakers.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The (usually) blue remote lead is just for telling amplifiers and other accessories to power on. Unless your front speakers are powered by an aftermarket amplifier, then that remote lead isn't going to fix your problem. If you have a sub, it's amp will definitely need that remote lead hooked up in order to function though.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you get sound from the speakers when they are not attached to the door?

I had one once that worked until I put it in the door. When installed, the terminals on the speaker were barely touching the metal on the door and shorting it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk