Replacing factory speakers/stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would that separate amp for the rear door speakers apply to a crew cab as well as a Suburban?

IIRC the crew cabs didn't have rear door speakers from the factory, just rear pillar speakers and all four were run straight off the radio. I could be wrong though.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Mine has the deluxe door panels; it's a Silverado. Doors look just like the ones on the Burb. I've seen the grilles in the C pillars, but I haven't played with the stereo balance enough to see what works and what doesn't. I do know the cassette deck doesn't work, but all the lights in the head unit do.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine has the deluxe door panels; it's a Silverado. Doors look just like the ones on the Burb.

Yeah, the crew cab rear door panels are basically the same as a 'burb, but there aren't any speakers behind the grilles even though it looks like there should be. Here's some pics, the holes for the speakers aren't even cut from the factory.

https://www.gmt400.com/posts/894037/

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, the crew cab rear door panels are basically the same as a 'burb, but there aren't any speakers behind the grilles even though it looks like there should be. Here's some pics, the holes for the speakers aren't even cut from the factory.

https://www.gmt400.com/posts/894037/
Interesting! I guess since the crews were intended to be more utilitarian than the Burbs....
I have to get into the right side rear door at some point, to fix the actuator for the power locks. And I need to replace the inside handle on the right side front door. Waiting on cooler weather, and trying to figure out where I put the box with the spare door handles, rivet tool and rivets....

RLC2020

Reaction score
Update: Rear 4x10s are in, new 6.5" 2 way speakers are in all 4 doors. I found the remote wire for the amp and hooked that up so now all 6 speakers are working! Sounds okay, but not fantastic, Subwoofer is going under the rear seat, the wiring kit I ordered didn't come with a fuse for the main power wire for the amp so once that shows up the sub will be hooked up and hopefully balance out everything. Right now I have 6 tweeters in the 6 speakers, plus the 2 factory door tweeters up from for a total of 8. Lots of treble!

RLC2020

Reaction score
Sub installed. For a cheap slim box it actually sounds great! However, there is too much treble, not enough mid range. I'm debating on switching the rear door speakers to 6.5" subwoofers instead of the 2 way speakers that are in there. I'm guessing the factory amp puts out enough power for 2 6.5" woofers. It seems wasteful to have an amp for just 2 2 way speakers...

I might even change the front door speakers to subwoofers as well since the factory component tweeters sound great.

I was trying to avoid putting a bunch of time into this stereo, my other 'burb has the factory stereo in it and I'm more than happy with the sound. For some reason this one just needs more. Pictures to follow once I get it cleaned up.