Adding speaker boxes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wanting to add speaker boxes to my truck. I picked them up at a yard sale for cheap (a dollar a piece!) And they have decent speakers in them. I was wondering if I could just remove the wires from the pillar speakers and run them to the boxes behind the seat. Thanks!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they a full range box( tweeter, mid,woofer) with a crossover?
Or are they subs only?
Either way, unless you are running an amplifier with them, you will probably be disappointed.
Post a picture to see what you got, and a manufacturer or model number woul help us as well.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they a full range box( tweeter, mid,woofer) with a crossover?
Or are they subs only?
Either way, unless you are running an amplifier with them, you will probably be disappointed.
Post a picture to see what you got, and a manufacturer or model number woul help us as well.
I have no idea on the manufacturer. I believe it's the whole shebang. They only have the 2 wire inlet, so I was wondering if I could just snip the wires and route them into the boxes. I'll post pictures in a bit.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are full range, which it sounds like they are. Ya, you can just tap into the rear wires. But like I said, you may not be happy with the results. The original speaker is 4x6, and I'm guessing the boxes you have probably have a 8,10 or 12 inch speaker. The factory head unit won't have enough power to drive them boxes as well as even a little amplifier would.
If it was my truck, I'd find a little amplifier and wire that in as well. Maybe something that's a legit 100w amp will make all the difference in the world. And with all these new digital amps on the market, they are cheap and tiny.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I have. They fit nicely behind the seat. I will look into a small amp.

Attachments

• 20240406_114954.jpg
    20240406_114954.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240406_114947.jpg
    20240406_114947.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 16

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I do not think so that may run on 12v but but it uses a wall wort or you need a lighter socket plug with the right jack on the other end

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some smaller single speaker boxes, but they need new speakers. I might replace the speakers in those and run them instead