Can I swap an ECM/prom in 1992 Silverado k1500 with different one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fig1982

Reaction score
I have a 1992 k1500 Silverado with a 350/700r4, z71 package. Was told by the shop that my Prom was not working right and would need to replace. The problem is that the truck has ECM 16146299 with PROM AWLC 7710. I have been told by numerous sources that this prom was for CA emissions vehicles abs hard to find. My question to you is could I swap the ECM and prom from a different vehicle that would be compatible with the truck I have? Is so, which ECM and Proms would work? I would appreciate any help on this. The truck has a new engine and transmission but doesn’t run right. I’m just keeping her original as it’s just a low use truck and don’t want to spend lots of money putting aftermarket parts. Thanks

Fig1982

Reaction score
PROM problems are possible, but not that common. Why does the shop think the PROM is faulty?
The engine does not adjust timing at low end. It lacks power at lower speeds, but runs good at higher speeds. If you try to get on it hard from a stop, it usually kicks off a check engine light. The distributor is new and they believe the PROM could be the problem.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the EST wire was disconnected, the MIL would be lit all the time. A failure elsewhere in the EST system might be a cause.

Be interesting to see if the timing is at "0" with the wire disconnected, and somewhere around 10--15 advanced when it's re-connected.

Fig1982

Reaction score
If the EST wire was disconnected, the MIL would be lit all the time. A failure elsewhere in the EST system might be a cause.

Be interesting to see if the timing is at "0" with the wire disconnected, and somewhere around 10--15 advanced when it's re-connected.
What is the EST system?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electronic Spark Timing. There's a one-wire connector that is disconnected to initial-time the spark advance, then re-connected to run the vehicle normally.