Wrong ECM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting on an ALDL cable and trying to relearn how to use TunerPro RT, so I can do some datalogging and pin down a weird idle. When I bought this truck a few years ago I went through and took pictures of a bunch of things to have onhand as reference material, one of which was the ECM. 16168625, BDJZ...according to gearhead-efi, that matches to "93 C-K Truck 5.7TBI 4l60e with 3.73 or 3.42 gears" which seems very different from my 95 7.4 4L80E with 4.10 gears. Since I've never actually messed with GM ECMs from this era, could someone have swapped the ECM, and either reflashed or swapped the PROM to whatever the correct one is?

Rockauto lists the following options: 16196395, 16183247, or 16197427. Gearhead suggests 15156930 or 7427 (I'm guessing this is the one). Is there a decent list of BINs so I can figure out what I actually should have? Moates is shut down, and I can't find much else. The lack of an options list on gearhead describing my truck is probably because this isn't the configuration most tuners would want to work with.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a way to read the prom in your ECM? The ECM is pretty much a stupid box until you pop in the chip. If the pinout is the same for both ECM's then changing the prom makes it work in your truck.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet, it'll be a few days before I've got the cable. But you did confirm that my suspicion is at least possible, which helps.
You won't be able to read the prom with the ALDL cable. You will need to buy a reader/burner and pop the prom out and put it in the reader then use TunerPro and the appropriate definition file. What you will be looking for is the displacement per cyl. I don't think the broadcast code will be listed in the .bin. Once you get the reader/burner and a couple EEPROMS you can tune the truck yourself.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF this is a stock PROM, he should be able to read the GM code for it with the scan tool.

If it's aftermarket, or has been modified somehow...good luck. You'd be right, he needs the code downloaded and investigated.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and ordered a decent scan tool; it'll work on all my (computer-equipped) vehicles and I've been eyeing them for a while. That's probably the smarter way to solve my actual problems.

I appreciate the help and the info. My two other Chevies are 25-30 years older and newer than the Suburban, so these electronics are "new" to me.

I'll remove the ECM this weekend (while I wait for the scanner) and see what's inside, at least.