98 k1500 possible ecm/pcm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VCM would be the last thing I consider. I'd start at ensuring you have a charged battery, good grounds, and also corrosion free battery terminals. Then check for DTCS (which will also ensure there's communication with the VCM at the DLC).

Reaction score
surging and the starter click can both be ground issues. the starter grounds to the negative bat cable to block. the ends can rot. the surging can be bad reference voltages from sensors due to ground straps. on vortec you should have strap from passenger head to firewall and from head to frame, and firewall to frame. they all need to be solid and clean. the tranny acting up can also be ground. on vortec there may be a ground from tranny stud to drivers side head. otherwise ground can pass through the tranny internals instead of the case.

carsonepps8

Reaction score
I have a lot of work done to it brand new batteries. Rebuild tranny. Brand new starter hasn’t been spun but maybe 150 times. Rebuilt motor. New battery teriminals. Brand new ignition module. I’ll check for codes but if it’s throwing codes it’ll be for ecm/pcm codes bc everything else is fine. It drives great no problems. It’s idling fine now only done it once with the surge. The only prob now is the delayed shift.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pull the fuse and wait for 2 minutes it will reset the ecm. And battery terminals are brand new I have a dual battery setup for my starter battery and accessories battery and bought brand new terminals for it. You can also reset the ecm by unplugging the battery and waiting 30 mins. It will have to relearn the truck and how you drive.
That doesn't reset the ECM. But what do I know, only been messing with these trucks 27 years.
Doesn't matter if things are new, they can be loose. Doesn't matter if you checked things before, recheck them, they can become detached. And if you're not going to follow advice, why ask for it?
Good luck.

carsonepps8

Reaction score
I said I’ll check again it never said I wouldn’t. If you can’t have common decency and not be a ****** don’t answer then. Try to be civil here everyone else has be nice enough. I’m just telling what I’ve already checked and haven’t checked. Ain’t no sense in being that rude.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Okay buddy.
You never said you'd check, you said your battery terminals were new.
As I said, good luck.